chrysler concorde 1999 problem

I have chrysler concorde 1999 3.2L Lxi the engine has been working ok and I have been doing my oil changes before time around 4000K to keep a smooth ride. Yesterday I parked my car and went in for grocerys and came back to find out its not starting at all. I tried to start it for about 5 mins but no response. I opened the hood took my engine oil stick out, put that back in and it started working all by itself. Does anybody has an idea if this is an indication to a bigger problem to come in near future.

Deepak Sharma

Reply to
sharma.deepak83

If it just clicked when you turned the key to start then it is time to replace the starter solenoid contacts and plunger and clean all the main electrical connections such as the battery terminals. If it cranked but didn't fire we can't help you without more info.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Thanks Daniel, your answer explains a lot. I freaked out because I came by some forms which read stuff like concorde Lxi total engine failure and stuff. Also one last question how much do you think getting the electrical signals and starter solenoid fixed.

Reply to
sharma.deepak83

Before you start in any serious work, try removing your battery cables, cleaning the cable ends and battery posts, and reconnecting them making sure they clamp on tight. (If it's a side terminal battery, same applies, just change "clamp on" to "screw in".) With computer controls, it's possible to get some weird symptoms from something as silly as a bad battery connection...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

have chrysler concorde 1999 3.2L Lxi the engine has been working ok

Thanks again daniel, I really appreciate you replying to my questions. I will check the connections tomorrow morning. Also do you know a good manual or an ebook which will help me know how a car works and what should I do on common problems and stuff. I really cant trust auto repair shops when it comes to fix my car and stuff. I went to Crappy tire for changing my brakes and they charge me $ 400 for stuff like rotors , tire rods and stuff and I guess half of the stuff they just made it up. Thanks again man.

Reply to
sharma.deepak83

I don't know what forums you were reading, but the 3.2L engine is *very* reliable. What I think you were probably reading about is the 2.7L engine of the Concorde LX (one of which I own - actually I own one of each - one '98 LXi, one '99 LX).

If it is in fact the starter solenoid contacts (fairly likely), the contacts can be had from

for around $18 including shipping. Enter your car info. and search on the word "solenoid". One of your choices will be "Starter Solenoid Repair Kit" - click on it - that's the one you want. If you pay someone to replace them, it would be a couple hours labor probably. You might just have them replace the starter, but frankly, I would trust an OEM starter a few years old (with your new solenoid contacts) than most of the aftermarket rebuilt starters - my personal opinion.

BTW - the second reply that you responded to was not Daniel, and I am yet a third responder to your initial post. Good advice from all three IMO.

Bill Putney

Thanks again, search on google for Concorde heater problem. Thanks for the heads up on the price man.

Reply to
sharma.deepak83

Sorry for not replying myself but it looks like others have the situation under control. I was at my cousin's house and couldn't check or reply to this thread.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Hi I wanted to know how much a 1999 3.2L Chrysler concord lxi can work without giving any kind of problems with the engine , transmission or anything big.

Reply to
sharma.deepak83