Chrysler; The descent continues....

They can't seem to get very much right. Apart from the milk delivery wagon (PT Cruiser) and the ricer wannabee (Neon SRT-4) they keep
turning out pure crap. Now, they've announced the latest Hemi-powered vehicles for 2004. The Magnum truck (hicks take note) will continue, the 300M 4 door sedan Intrepid overpriced retread gets the Hemi, a Jeep (for the gay set) and some kind of hearse-like station wagon. What the F--- is wrong with Chrysler? The company that produced such works of art as the Barracuda and the Challenger is turning out frankenstein mobiles while using the venerable Hemi to sell them. IF they sell.
The Krauts have certainly made a mess of this firm. The Crossfire is the latest abomination. A horribly underpowered sport coupe with headroom for midgets is another example of how OUT OF TOUCH they are with the buyers.
They even have the gall to put out an ad on television daring to compare a bumbkin's pickup truck with one of their masterpiece muscle cars from long ago. Wake up Chrysler. It's time to get rid of the Edsel reincarnations and build a couple two-door cars with the Hemi. Make one a sports car, one a muscle car. If your goal is niche marketing, and this seems to be the case, what better target than the monied and bored baby boomers who remember you when you produced cars people liked?
Two things to note; -A Hemi Cuda sold at auction for $1.3 million. -Have you seen the car rental ad when there guy gets his keys, trudges to the parking lot, dejectedly expecting a mainstay rental vehicle like an Intrepid only to be confronted by a 1970 Dodge Challenger?? Then he smiles widely. What does this say to you? -Rich
+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | TROLLS | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
On 25 Nov 2003, Richard wrote:

It looks to me that Chrysler is playing the VW game. Higher priced cars with no status.
If Pacifica is any indication (can t believe the new 300!!!), there are headed toward big troubles.

Latest word was Pacifica is outselling its main competition, Lexus RX330 and Acura MDX.

I also read this version elsewhere, but most recent reports say that they sold only 4800 units on a projected volume of 60000 units a year. They fired the marketing executive for this project and cancelled the Celine Dion ad.

Great news. ANY ad with Celine in is something I WON'T buy!!!1

the
remember
trudges
Lurker wrote:

Because...?
Bill Putney wrote:

She's uglier than nine miles of dirt road. :-)
Matt

The Celine ad campaign was for the entire Chrysler brand, not just the Pacifica. And yes, sales were slow at first, but have picked up. In August, for example, they sold 7436, and 7589 in September.

It was clearly said last week, that they sold so far only 4800 units on 3 months on a projected 60000 units. 7500 a month is outrageously optimist and there would certainly no be the following bad news.
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId9262

delivery
300M
the
is
remember
trudges
Saintor wrote:

I think the problem with Chrysler advertising (in general) and the Celine ads in particular is that Chrysler doesn't do saturation advertising like Toyota (zoom-zoom) does.
I've never seen these commercials with Celine (but it is true that the first one spends too much time on Celine and not enough on the Pacifica).
mms://windowsmedia.dvlabs.com/adcritic/chrysler-performance.asf mms://windowsmedia.dvlabs.com/adcritic/chrysler-oneheart.asf mms://windowsmedia.dvlabs.com/adcritic/chrysler-passion.asf
"It is not as though Chrysler wasn't warned. Sources say Chrysler's ad agency, BBDO Worldwide, of Troy, Mich., discouraged its client from using the singer for its commercials. Still, the campaign went ahead despite test numbers showing that Ms. Dion appealed to a much older audience than Chrysler wanted."
Hey, that should do them fine with the new LX cars. Chrysler has the 65-82 year-old demographic locked up with the LX cars and their high belt-line giving the ocata-genarians the "safe" feeling they're looking for when they cruise the mean streets. I predict Chrysler will use Barbara Streisand to advertise the LX cars.
"They were trying to class up the image of Chrysler, and it didn't have enough excitement," he said. "Dodge has performance. Jeep has a rugged personality. And maybe Chrysler had its nose a little too far up in the air."
Buhaha.
"But during testing, BBDO's focus groups told Chrysler that Ms. Dion appealed to consumers with an average age of 52. Mr. Schroer asked for additional BBDO research to justify the ad campaign, a source says. 'Make it work' "Schroer told [BBDO] to go out and test again," a source says. "He said, 'Make it work.' Chrysler now says the average age of a Pacifica buyer is 53."
Well it worked didn't it. Someone tell me why the 53-year-old crowd is buying family-type vehicles? Stupid. Mr. 53-year-old should be buying an up-scale sedan, not a small family bus.
"MoPar Man" wrote:

"Zoom-zoom" is Mazda, not Toyota.
RPhillips47 wrote:

That was hilarious. Shows how well the zoom-zoom ads worked for Mazda ... or how poor Mopar Man pays attention.
Matt
Fairly typical though. Polaroid used to run ads with 2 big names back in their hay-day but when they did surveys, everyone associated the celebrities with Kodak.

Mazda

I've never seen them either but I don't think that it's lack of saturating advertising that's the problem with them. Frankly the problem with all 3 of these ads is that they showcase Celine Dion, they don't showcase the cars themselves. It's a pretty basic almost newbie mistake made when advertisers try using popular singers and popular music to apply to advertising.
The problem with a lot of TV advertising these days is that too many of the directors of the ads have forgotten the point is advertising a product, not telling some kind of story. Compare McDonalds and Coca-cola advertising to these Chrysler ads - with McDonalds ads, notice that within a second of so of the ad starting, your going to see the Mickey D's logo, and most likely the name McDonalds. Same with Coke. Naturally the ads are dull, uninteresting and boring, but they do succeed in pounding the company name into your subconscious.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Seems that Chrysler's "former" global sales and marketing chief (Jim Schroer) became infatuated by the idea of Celine and forced her down the throats of the ad companies. 'Make it work.' he told them.
You know, Buick's ads where they use the ghostly "Harley Earl", while being corny, still comes across with a half-decent ad that gets their message across in a watchable way.
Wouldn't it be a hoot if Lee Iacocca did some commercials for Chrysler a-la Harley Earl? (At least Coconuts is still alive). Heck, wouldn't it be a stroke of genius to make him President of Chrysler group?
MoPar Man wrote:

Maybe he and Icahn can team up and buy them back from Daimler. :-)
That would be quite a combination of personalities...
Matt

He wanted to, he has said as much, see:
http://www.detnews.com/specialreports/2002/iacocca/a01-442791.htm
Schrempp is afraid of him, though.

Iacocca is a bit over 78 years old these days, and his last 5-6 years or so has been tied up running EV Global Motors (electric bicycles) and Lido Motors USA (small electric cars) While the guy has name recognition, what market segment is it with? Not the younger buyers, that's for sure. And you have to ask, for how long? It would be pretty risky to try and design a marketing strategy around someone that old. He might live another 15 years - but he might die tomorrow.
I frankly think that the best thing to happen to Chrysler would be for it to continue to lose money. Give it another 3-5 years of losses and Damlier is finally going to get sick of losing money on it, and will sell it to someone else. Damlier doesen't understand the bulk of the American car buying market and never will. They have been real successful in the luxury market in the U.S. because they understand how those buyers think - but that market doesen't think like the majority of U.S. Chrysler buyers. As long as they remain successful in the luxury market they never will be able to understand the Chrysler market, and we are going to continue to see more goofs like this Celine Dion ad campaign.
Ted

Good point -- remember, it was the first ads from Infiniti that didn't mention the name or show any vehicles that were blamed for putting them well behind Lexus.
Of course, some ads create a negative association -- the Dodge Ram ad where the guy coughs up his food onto the windshield, for example. That's one ad I in which wish neither the Dodge name or vehicles were ever mentioned!
Have you seen the new ad where the guy and his wife are separately discussing the purchase of the new truck while he is barbecueing his hand on fire? Who comes up with this crap?

the
that the

saturating
showcase