Clutch not returning

I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Count Floyd

Hydraulic or cable actuated?

Bill Putney

Been a while since I have worked on a 40s Chrysler clutch but if my memory serves me correctly there is an adjustment of the pedal linkage that needs to be correct.

Does the pedal not return at all or does it simply come up some, the clutch operation is correct but the pedal does not return to the top? I vaguely remember the clutch return spring keeps the pedal returned so the clutch is not being "ridden".

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

There is a pedal/linkage return spring outside of the transmission on most old cars, but also the pressure plate itself returns the pedal as well- you may have a worn out pressure plate- or the clutch has excessive freeplay in the linkage.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

It is a mechanical clutch, cable actuated.

Reply to
Count Floyd

Bob, The pedal comes up some, but does not return fully to the complete position. It is floor mounted, pushing straight down flush with the rubber mat when activated, and it comes up just a hair, then I have to pull it up the rest of the way with my toe.

Reply to
Count Floyd

I was hoping it was merely an adjustment, which it might well be, but if it is the pressure plate, I guess it is time for a new clutch kit!

Reply to
Count Floyd

up some, but does not return fully to the complete

Reply to
Ace

Count

The clutch should start to disengage near the top of the pedal travel. Between the top and the disengagement point is the freeplay. Perhaps an inch or so.

So the linkage should be checked to adjust this. If it is beyond adjustment then out with the transmission etc and replace the clutch disc/plate. Have the mechanism and the throwout bearing checked at ths time. It might take some shoping to find a shop that knows anything about the clutch. Google for help.

Before doing anything be sure to check the action of the pedal and linkage. Something could be broke or bent.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

you have to get under the vehicle and have someone else work the clutch pedal, and see what's happening under there- if there's play in the linkage, it's easy to adjust out with the pedal free play adjustment under the car. If that is ok already, then your pressure plate is shot.

Reply to
duty-honor-country