!!! Has anybody tried "RESTORE" ??

You don't have to be in order to know what is or is not possible.

And exactly how does that relate to bogus claims that a liquid poured in a crankcase can "condition" metal akin to the way wax will condition leather?

'Running in' (or burnishing, or any similar process) is a PHYSICAL treatment of metal, not chemical. Heck, there are even valid chemical processes to change the surface characteristics of metals (nitride hardening, aka the 'Tufftride' process, for example) but not ONE of them can be done by pouring goo in your oil and driving.

Reply to
Steve

A couple, in fact. If they had problems, I REPAIRED them, rather than pouring goo in the crankcase and hoping for alchemy to occur... ;-)

Reply to
Steve

Ok. I missed your reference to the "liquid" when you said one "can't condition metal". - RM

Reply to
RickMerrill

What about stuck rings (stuck in place in their grooves) - is that a real world problem? If so, anything that will dissolve old sludge (and thus unsticking the rings and allowing them to move around and conform to the cylinder walls) could have a dramatic effect.

Bill Putney

Too broad a brush, Steve. I have no opinion on Restore (never used it - prboably read the label in the store once or twice).

Regarding additives, I strongly believe that in specific situtaions, they may be justified. Example: If I find out after the fact that the particular engine in my car is prone to **serious** sludging up and resulting total failure with minor neglect (late oil changes) like certain Toyota engines and the 2.7L Chrysler engine, I would definitely (along with changing the oil religiously at 3000-3500 miles with new filter each time) buy some extra insurance and put something like Marvel Mystery Oil in with each oil change (which I actually do with my Concorde with 2.7L - presently at 98k miles and running great).

It's exactly like: I don't believe in putting tourniquettes on my arms and legs just for piece of mind, but you can bet in the right medical emergency, I would use one to save my life.

I have also used MMO to cure a valve lifter clatter due to dirt or varnish in a Subaru engine that needed it in spite of very regular maintenance - a common cure (ATF works well for that too).

I won't argue that any given additive shouldn't be used without specific reason, but when there is a specific problem that can be fixed by using one, I do it. (Full disclosure: I won't lie - along with regular oil & filter changes, I actually use MMO in all my cars as preventative against sludging.)

Bill Putney

From: Bill Putney snipped-for-privacy@kinez.net

In my case Restore succeeded in causing the rings to fully stick to the pistons producing amazing amounts of oil smoke. If they're claiming it will free rings they're lying.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Reply to
Pete Geurds

You're my hero.