Missing out only when accelerating

My 1986 Dodge is missing out when accelerating. It runs smoothly when in park and does not miss out at all when stomping the pedal . But in drive and trying to accelerate moderately it misses out bad. If you accelerate easily and once up to speed it runs fine. Any advice on what to check?

Thanks

Reply to
netnews.insightbb.com

fuel filter will be my first point to start.

PS: does it have injectors, if not, our accelerator pump might be bad. try to see if it is working fine when the car is not running if you have carburator.

If the spark plug wires are going bad, you might need to check them also. One of my friends car is missing when the car is on load.

good luck.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

I agree that ,IF you have not changed the plug wires recently or ever , do that first. If you have trouble with acceleration on the highway, reaching 60 smoothly and/or stumbling and hesitation when steady crusing on the highway, probably the fuel filter. Good Luck

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr