Need advice...The Dealership says its the battery...hmmm

Hi all. Any help would be appreciated.

My 96 Dodge Caravan check engine light came on a couple of days ago, and between the time of the light coming on and taking it to the dealership the van would not start one evening after the wife had taken it to the mall. No power, nothing. Just a wierd buzzing coming from the engine compartment.While waiting for me to show up, the interior lights suddenly came on, so she tried to start it. Low and behold, it started, and of course, the check engine light disappeared. The dealership could find nothing wrong, of course. This morning it was dead again, and I noticed the strange buzzing was from the fusebox. Battery was in bad shape, it had little or no power. Now, would a bad battey cause a buzzing sound to come from the engine compartment fusebox? When I pooped the hood by the way, the buzing stopped. Resumed when I slammed the hood down. Sounds like a bad fuse/relay/connection to me. I agree the battery needs replacing, but I am not sure that is the full problem. Thanks for any advice. snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net

-- My other computer is a Mac.

Reply to
loeps

It's very possible the buzzing is caused by the battery. Low battery voltage can cause the relays in the power dist. center under the hood to buzz like a bumble bee.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

No matter how mad you get at your car, you should avoid the tempation to poop the hood! 8^)

Bill Putney

dealership the

I would suggest trying to charge the battery, and then doing a load test on it. You may find that it either will not hold a charge, or will drain quickly when put under load. Since your van is a 1996, I would imagine that the battery had been replaced at least once. If the battery is original, then you have got your money's worth from it.

Once you know that the battery is good, then you can check connections as needed.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Yes, . . . . . as Mr. Bill says, "it's 100% better NOT to poop the hood in anger."

God Bless, Dan'L

("If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around.")

Reply to
Dan Larsen

Reply to
maxpower
041216 0608 - Bill Putney posted:

Yeah, I seen a hood pooped one time and it didn't look good to me...

Reply to
indago

It is even worse watching it happen.......................

Reply to
RPhillips47
041217 1224 - RPhillips47 posted:

Well, I never seen that and I don't even want to think about it...

Reply to
indago