(OT) Found good free e-mail newsreader - Thanks TNKEV!!

About once a month (more some months, less other months) my ISP's source for newsgroups craps out. I started a thread about this a few months ago (piece the two lines together for complete URL):

There were solutions offered in replies about free news servers that interfaced with e-mail browsers, but I had been hesitant about using a free news server as an individual (concerns about SPAM, privacy, etc.).

Well, my ISP's news server quit working two times in the last week (still down as I type this), and I finally decided that I had to find a better way.

I went back to that old thread, and the most reasonable alternative was posted by TNKEV. At his suggestion, I went to

and saw from their instructions how to use a server called aioe.org instead of my ISP's news server. Downloads and subscribes exactly like an ISP's news server into whatever newsgroup-capable e-mail browser (news reader) you happen to be using (I'm using T'bird) - you just put that server name into the wizard instead of your ISP's news server name. Works like a charm!! I highly recommend it if you find your ISP's server unreliable. Thanks again TNKEV!

Bill Putney

Excellent job. I was going to post if you can also post but then I thought. Duh, read your headers and I see you are posting from aioe.org. A good free newsgroup is quite a rarity. The last one I had was one in Europe but that became a paid service after a while. I would not be too surprised if that is the case here. Interesting. They recommend Thunderbird which I heard was only so-so but perhaps they have gotten their act together as they have with Firefox, their concommitant browser. Or Thunderbird may be a good newsreader but not as good as Outlook Express for email per se which is surprising good. But then I liked unix email programs so don't go by me.

Reply to
treeline12345

Which is plenty for me. This is the only ng that I frequent. I probably make 5 posts on my most prolific days.

Bill Putney

but you can only post 25 times per day.

Reply to
Punch

Prior to getting RoadRunner I had to use open servers for years for the same reason. Open servers still come in handy sometimes. Here is a good place to start:

You can also download software that will find your favorite groups on open servers.

Reply to
« Paul »