4 seat classic car

So tell me what *exactly* what happens during a prolonged running in period?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The rings fully bed down to their individual bores, this has to be a gradual process of increasing load and rpm (ring velocity) to avoid either premature ring wear or bore glazing. Run the engine at a constant rpm before the rings have been fully bedded in and the bores will glaze, more so with older designs of engines due to the materials used, and run them too hard before bedding in and the rings will wear excessively. Shell bearings will bed down pretty quickly, the main thing is to keep the load on them as low as possible for the first 100 miles or so. Some camshafts (RV8 being one) require an initial break-in period of, say,

20 min at 2000 rpm, to ensure proper work-hardening of the lobes and follower bases. All engine designs are different and will have different running-in recommendations depending on their individual design, but the one critical aspect is ring wear and bore glazing in almost all cases. Badger.

P.S. Dave, did you get my email?

Reply to
Badger

It _was_ a nice car (for something driven from The Heathen End). The Euro-spec 2l ones were fine, if caught before collapse the Lancistas reckon that a UK model can be modified with reliable lubrication.

The rust is no worse than any other Fiat of the period. Crap paint and no underseal. Find a solid one and fix this, then it will last.

Its makers liked it, its maker's new owners didn't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Handling of a rocket-assisted Asda trolley.

Still the _worst_ car I've ever had, and I've had Renaults.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Neighbour has a pair, 1 1/2 completed, one of each. Lovely cars and he reckons that modern bits just bolt right in. He's running 740 2l turbo engines and transmissions.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was at the revival - older cars !!

Reply to
Colin

Older than the GB Napier? I must have missed that... ;-)

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Maybe I should have said, generally older cars !!!

Reply to
Colin

Fitting a Fiesta electronic distributor and modern coil cures the worst of it. Alternator with IC regulator is 2nd. Modern fuel pump.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Some years ago I was one of 7 cubs that fitted in a Vitesse. 2 on passenger seat, 3 in back and I think 2 were sort of er on the luggage rack.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Audi 100S coupe.

Being a heathen.