Bodywork repairs following accident - paint match

Indeed, but the sprayer would at least be able to tell if the back end had been resprayed beforhand which could have saved some grief for the OP, another variable.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Ok I'm sorry if I am not helping (that is not my intention) and with hindsight I have to agree but all things considered and realising the unknown variables would make the job more difficult.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I'm sorry you are experiencing problems with tints but the reason BS and RAL colour formulation were created is so that we all have the same colour representation, this is why BS and RAL was set up to achieve because of colour mismatches.

The colour representation should exactly match from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it practice is doesn't.

Stephen.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Car manufacturers use the cheapest paint they can get away with

Reply to
steve robinson

I am well aware of the reasoning for paint shade standardisation and i pointed out that between manufacturers they vary

When your trying to colour match its often the case your actually useing printed cards which are pantones which further confuses the situation

Reply to
steve robinson

Thats why some colour cards are painted in the actual paint and not printed, I have dozens and the colour representation is the same on them all, at least the RAL and BS ones anyway.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I have read that cars that are factory sprayed by hand instead of robot will use only one person to spray all the external parts. The reason being that two professional spraypainters will produce visibly different finishes despite using exactly the same paint. It is one reason why the top-end car factories are moving away from hand spraying (which was seen as producing a better quality of finish), and instead using the same type of robot spraypainters as used for normal low-end cars - because modern robots do a better job than a person can achieve.

There is therefore little chance of any spraypainter producing exactly the same paint-job as was put on in a factory over 20 years previously regardless of how well the paint matches. It is only one part of the equation.

It is also quite likely that the rest of the car has been subjected to multiple waxing, polishing and cleaning cycles as well as being abraded by atmospheric grit and dust over all those years.

I should think therefore that a *perfect* match is not achievable, and how far from the ideal is acceptable would be the subjective opinion of the owner.

Reply to
Cynic

Agreed. Dont think they've taken much effort over this.

Reply to
bertiebigbollox

Interesting that....

Reply to
bertiebigbollox

Some interesting discussions here. Bottom line is though, basically, I want my car back in the same condition as it was before the accident (i.e. matching paintwork). The garage only painted up to the seam and did not do any of the side panel (because they told me that the insurance co wouldnt pay for that).

To be honest, I dont care whether its the garages fault for not doing it properly or the insurance companies fault for not authorising it. I aint happy with the end result. I have put my complaint in writing to insurance company so that hopefully they will sort it out.

I still find it weird that my insurance company is still arguing with me about it. I appreciate they're bound to mitigate costs but at the end of the day this is an open and closed other party liabilty so the other partys insurance is paying anyway. Why arent they making more effort to fight for my rights?

Reply to
bertiebigbollox

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You are right that you can expect a good paint match. You are not right that you can expect a full respray.

That's just a bodge, anyway, to make the mismatch slightly less obvious. The paint should match. Even if it needs to be matched to the car not to the code. Perhaps the car's been painted before?

Because you're forgetting one essential detail.

In an optimal situation, where real people actually care, the bodyshop should accept that the match is not good, and the fact your wife has already signed to accept the work should not make a difference.

However, here in the real world, a paint-by-numbers-conveyer-belt insurance bodyshop just won't care. You aren't their customer. They're never going to see you again. Their customer IS happy, because they can provide a piece of paper that says you've accepted the work.

I rather suspect the only way you can get anything happening is to complain to the insurance company - but be prepared to have to fight against that signed piece of paper. You'll probably need to escalate to the insurance industry ombudsman.

A more expensive, but less hypertensive, solution would be to accept that the cost of respraying the arse end of a Mini (especially since the prep work should be minimal) is likely to be relatively low, and use your own wallet to take it to somebody competent who actually gives a toss.

No, you shouldn't need to. Nor should you need to run about to prove that a crap job is a crap job. However, this is the real world, and it's populated almost exclusively by people who don't care and won't put an ounce more effort in than they have to.

Reply to
Adrian

That is especially the case with metallics, as we know that different pressure, gun distance, viscosity of the paint and spraying in a different direction can all contribute to a different colour shade. For this reason it is normal practice to have the same person spray the whole car.

A robot can certainly be more consistent.

I remember watching a program a few years ago where the robot had to be trained by a sprayer to know how to spray, there was a device fastened to the sprayers arm and wrist that followed the exact movements of the sprayer so at the end of the spraying sequence the robot then knew how to spray, in this case the sequence was only spraying the door shuts.

It is easy for a robot to spray door shuts etc but a bit more effort would be involved to learn how to do the whole vehicle, but it would certainly not be impossible.

Rolls Royce used to spray cellulose and acrylic up to the 1980's even though these particular colours would have faded somewhat on older vehicles the car repair section at Pyms lane could still manage to match the paint when required, same goes for other car manufacturers or repair centres.

The paintwork would be completely degreased and compounded back to original finish before any attempt was made to colour match.

Even so it has not stopped sprayers from achieving the near perfect paint match/finish even on old paint finishes. This is mainly why the colours are blended-in to help achieve that match.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

The other option that might be worth a look is to get three quotes from paint shops you trust, and submit a claim in the small claims court for the lowest of the quotes, against the other driver (personally).

Either they will have to pay up, or else in a panic get on to their insurance company and ask them to deal with it.

My money is on their insurance settling out of court, and you get a proper respray.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Indy Jess John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The one thing that IS for certain is that this has nothing to do with the other driver personally.

This is entirely between the triumvirate of the OP, his insurer and their body shop.

Reply to
Adrian

Blending-in does not achieve a match, it only makes the mismatch less noticeable.

Reply to
Cynic

If the colour doesn't initially match yes but at the end of the day it looks like a match to the rest of the paint work which is the object of the exercise.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Not so. The other driver was responsible for the damage, and in the absence of a satisfactory repair, they are responsible for reparations. If they can get payment made through insurance that saves them the expense, but it doesn't remove their responsibility.

It is an accepted fact that if you cannot get full recompense through insurance, you can claim for your uninsured losses (your excess, your loss of No Claims etc) direct from the other driver. Most people don't, but that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Indy Jess John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, they aren't. The OP claimed from his own insurance company. The other driver's insurance's only involvement is paying the OP's insurer back.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmm. Yeh. I guess this is an option if I get nowhere with my insurance company.

Reply to
bertiebigbollox

Beginning to wish I hadnt involved my own insurance and instead gone straight to the 3rd party/their insurers and told them to sort it or else.

Reply to
bertiebigbollox