Coachbuilder conversion: can anyone identify the car?

In the 1940s-1960s several coachbuilders created "estate cars" / "shooting brakes" on luxury cars.

Here's a partial snapshot of one, and I am trying to guess the original car from the rear wheel valances, but without success. Sorry it's a poor photo.

Not an Austin Sheerline, is it?

brafield

It could be. The angle of the rear wheel valance is about right.

A further clue is the inclusion in the valance of access to a petrol filler. An unmodified Sheerline has a (admittedly smaller) access hatch for a fuel filler in roughly that position.

The coach builder would modify the body, but that would not normally include moving the petrol tank, so the access hatch would have to be in a very similar position.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Thank you! A very quick and helpful reply. I did not look at enough Sheerlines. Any other posters, feel free to add or comment? Cheers.

Reply to
brafield

Still looking closely at Sheerlines. I think "my" car has a fatter rear wing, and the different petrol cap does not quite suit. A135 may be closer?

Reply to
brafield

BINGO:

It's a Humber Pullman:

In fact, the limited-ed. "Warwick Estate Car", slightly modified:

brafield

Ah yes. Well spotted.

I was a little concerned about the size of the running board compared with the Sheerline, but I couldn't think of another car that would fit the valance shape so I had assumed that the coachbuilder replaced the doors. I didn't think of the Humber - I have only seen one Pullman in real life and that was many years ago, so it didn't come to mind.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John