DIY camera-on-a-stick

Tool catalogues sell a camera on a stick for poking into places the sun don't shine (like box sections on cars to check for rust etc...well at least that's what I'll be using it for...honest!) i was thinking about using a black and white security camera and a small bulb taped to a bendy piece of metal rod. anyone got any better ideas?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

The better idea, assuming you can get hold of it, it to keep camera and bulb outside and attach them to a bundle of optic fibres - a la endoscope.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Starts ripping last year's christmas tree apart! LOL!

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

How do you cut or finish the end of the bundle to transmit a viewable image. Fine for light, in fact a slash cut or split end gives a source that can be seen at quite wide angles but it's too diffuse to be any use. An image needs much more precise optics than the cut end of a bundle of fibres. All you would get is light and dark fibres, like a few dots of a halftone picture - one dot per fibre.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It doesn't work as one dot per fibre though. A fibre can transmit thousands of simultaneous beams, so a single fibre can transmit several bits of the image at once.

I don't have any info on how to cut/finish the bundle; I just know it's possible. Googling for endoscope brings up hundreds of sites, among them digital camera adapters for endoscopes. It's definitely possible.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Gentlemen, RS sell fibre optic cutters, the trick is to keep the fibre straight so that when it cuts the end is square.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It is ok to use that if the fibre is plastic or acrylic. If it is real glass, you need an end polisher as well - and be vary careful, because that glass is nasty stuff if it gets under the skin.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren