Morris 1100 - any sought after bits?

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours yesterday dragging a very dead Morris 1100 out of someone's hedge. It's currently sitting on a trailer in my drive ready to go to the crusher on Wednesday. Before it goes, I'll remove anything that looks remotely decent - which'll probably take about 3 minutes. My mate reckons we should keep the engine as it'd fit a Mini. Any ADO-whatever-it-is experts out there with any thoughts? The bodywork's knackered. Subframe's collapsed. Only one wheel would turn. It's not a pretty sight...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Not without a new crankshaft and other parts. Would fit a Midget etc, but most would be after a 1275 for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reluctant to argue with Dave - knows more than I do - but surely it wouldn't fit a Midget? Little things like transverse rather than longitudinal, gearbox in sump rather than tacked on to the end, drive shafts for FWD etc? I'd have thought it would drop straight into a mini - why a new crankshaft?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

The perils of posting before the coffee has kicked in - I was thinking it was a Morris Minor 1100. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Long shot, but is it EJT151D? That was a while 1966 Morris 1100... Haven't seen it since the '80s.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Nah, it's later than that. G reg, I think. It is white though. A 2-door if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You were probably picking up the subliminal undertones from my original message. As well as the 1100, we collected two Minors from the same place! Ebay mania, I'm afraid. I bid 24 quid for a knackered but complete Minor and ended up with the two wrecks that were beside it and also bought the chap's transporter trailer to carry them on. None of the cars are worth saving, but we did manage to start one Minor and drive it a few yards with petrol gravity fed from a lawnmower tank. As you do...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Thanks anyway! EJT151D was a white 4-door.

The quest continues!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Thanks for the get out. Most would just have said I'm a BOF with brain damage. ;-) And they're probably right...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have a feeling its dead. last owner change was '86.

Date of First Registration 22 03 1966 Date of Last V5 Issue 22 07 1986

--

Reply to
Neil

And no Vehicle Status. It's dead alright.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

22/7/86 was when we sold it!! And it was in perfect condition with something like 20k on the clock.

I have a strange feeling it went out to Japan. Or somewhere...

Reply to
Howard Rose

Howard Rose ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Wouldn't surprise me. They *love* decent ADO16s.

Reply to
Adrian

I would rescue any of the chrome trim that looks half decent, and any reusable glass. And the radio, if it is an original fit. Have a think about the rear bumper and the seats as well, but if they are in comparable condition to the bodywork, it is probably not worth it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Indeed!

But Minors are a different car to the 1100. All parts are available from Ware's Morris Minor Centre (at a price). And most bits bolt on. You might find that one is worth saving if you cannibalise the other two. And a decent restoration usually sells at a fair price.

Alternatively, you might find another nutter on e-bay who fancies taking on a basket case. You could do a job lot - one for restoration with two donor cars.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Yup, it might even fetch half what it'd cost to get one of these sorted. I'm currently doing up two other Minors (one long term, one ... erm ... short term) so have a good idea of what's feasible. Of the scrappers, the complete car is too far gone. While sills, 'A' posts, etc can be sorted, even the rain gutter has delaminated on this one, which would be a hell of a job to fix. Strangely, the rear wing to body flange looks excellent on one side, so I'll cut that corner off in case it comes in handy. The incomplete (missing engine) car is at my friend's house so I haven't looked it over properly yet - just a quick glance which showed no sills at all, but chassis rails not too bad. He's having thoughts about doing it up so it may get a reprieve. I've suggested he starts on a sill before spending any other money or time on it, as the sills are always the make-or-break job on these. Unfortunately this is the less interesting, later car. A G-reg 2-door. The other is early sixties; trafficators (missing) but later than split screen.

To be honest, I'll make more off Ebay by stripping them. And I could use a supply of spares. Nothing will go to waste.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yup. Just door handles, I think.

I wondered about that. Is there really a demand? I may as well remove it but can see it sitting for a long time.

Nope, just a nole.

Rusted.

They looks quite good actually. Just black vinyl, but very over-stuffed and comfy looking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

nah, it will have a export marker on it.

On other cars I looked at, the marker shows unlicensed usually for scrapped ones normally.

--

Reply to
Neil

But it seems odd that a perfect car was more or less scrapped so soon after we sold it.

There's a couple of cars on there which I know have been exported in the '80s but it does not say so!!

Reply to
Howard Rose

But it seems odd that a perfect car was more or less scrapped so soon after we sold it. I would have least expected it to make the '90s.