Morris Minor Torsion Bar Bits

Fitted one to the pickup today, and one of the bits that goes on is a washer with a gap in it. Sits just inside the lever arm, up against the chassis section it all goes through.

My only question about it was why? I can't for the life of my work out why it was made like that, and why it has a chamfered edge that has to go one way round. Any Moggie experts care to explain? :)

Reply to
Stuffed

The workshop manual describes this as a "shouldered washer" which "must register with the hole in the frame". It doesn't say why. Perhaps you would get the answer from the tech forum on the MMOC website.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

IIRC the washer you refer to is a bush to spread the load of the torsion bar over a larger area of chassis. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Well, there's a shouldered washer, where the lip sits on the outer of the bar where the nut goes, inside hole in the chassis to locate it (and the torsion bar). That one makes sense. What I can't figure out is the point of the other one? It doesn't make any sense why it's the shape it is, or what it really does. IMO it'd make far more sense to have another shouldered one there really. One of those "shakes head, walks away" moments, fitting those bars!

Reply to
Stuffed

As in my other reply, I can see the point in a washer, just not one that shape! I'm trying to understand why it's got a slot instead of a hole, and why the slot's edges are chamfered on one side of the washer.

Surely having a slot doesn't make any difference, as it's not like you can get at it with the bar on (at least, not realistically), and the bar can't move around anyway once it's all tight. Besides which, thinking about it, the arm on the end of the torsion bar sits hard against the chassisand the bar pulls right up to the end, or at least would without this washer (of course, then the front pin wouldn't be so tightly held, but that could've been designed around in the first place). I agree that in theory it look slike it could be to spread the load of course, it's just in practice it looks somehow "wrong", like a bit of over complicated design :)

Reply to
Stuffed