No more classics (or cars with pretensions thereof)

I don't think I posted in here about it, but I got an XR4i, which I hoped would be a good 'classic' to run about it. Hard to believe it is

23 years old, if you don't know about cars at least.

Anyway, my main reason for things like that, as opposed to real classics I'd like to own, is the cheap classic insurance - which my Sera didn't quality for as a 'recent' Japanese import. Direct Line recently added NCB matching to their policies, so now my Sera costs less to insure than a classic policy on something quick.

Plus, in the spirit of classic car driving, I've managed to replace my Beetle with a Mazda RX8 - RWD, 190bhp, and odd technology - the closest modern car I could find to the kind of classics I like in the budget I had (contract hire budget, not cash, I could affod a LOT of nice classics for the list price of that thing).

So, I've got to be good for the next two years. No 'third cars', or anything. I could potentially swap the Sera for something else, but I don't really want to - it's a lovely car in many ways and I know it backwards.

I should be showing the Sera at the Selkirk and Mellerstain car shows if I can get myself organised to do so.

Feel free to run bets on how long it is before car number 117 shows up, though ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

RichardK ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Weeks. Not months.

Reply to
Adrian

And I thought I was bad with car #50!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Bolus wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

50? Pah, I take your 50 and raise you about 75...

I've actually lost count of the number of cars I've owned.

I did a website (last updated a year ago) where I tried to remember all my old cars, but lost track.

There's 90 odd on there, and that's just a small selection.

Reply to
Pete M

Yeah, but aren't you a tad older than me ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Don't know, I'm 44, how's that compare?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Bolus wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

I'm a mere, sparkling[1] example of a 35 year old... so you're not *that* much younger...

You, on the other hand, don't want to enter this competition :-p

Reply to
Pete M

Enough time for me to do it all over again ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Yes, but by past rates, 5 years is enough for me to manage another 40 cars at least. I think you've enjoyed far more interesting machinery, especially in terms of ownership - I should have kept a log of everything I've driven :D (still no rear-engined Porsches though, despite having a mate who owned a bright pink one, and the famous black £500 '89 Cabrio I was offered with a 'faulty heater'...)

Not that I intend to - I'm not counting cars I bought specifically to sell (except I think one Fiesta snuck in there because I ended up driving it for ages, and I didn't count the Porsche 924S in my spreadsheet because it used to be my mums - even though I had it for 6 months, whilst selling it, it was still 'hers').

It'll be nice just having two cars. Nice and simple. Also, I reckon I'll save enough in terms of fuel for messing around with old cars, money lost, little bits of cash here and there, to give the Sera the Kenwood DDX-8027 (or 6027) head unit I want.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ah yes, but I'm accelerating - 23 of those cars have been in the last 5 years!

Reply to
Chris Bolus