Tyres

You really are a clueless retard, not only have you admitted to not knowing how these types of callipers work but also that you have not read this thread either...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Actually the average G-clamp is designed *not* to rotate on the 'work-piece', so the only force most G-clamps will apply is a pushing force and not the (in this case) rotational force required to wind the 'outer' piston back in.

Exactly.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Not at all, but even if we were, we can still do the most important thing - understand who something works and thus the problem - unlike you Conor...

Reply to
:Jerry:

I've always found that they 'stick' a bit and will rotate.

Mind you, in this case, you're relying on the rotation of the clamp to wind the piston back in.

So, if it doesn't rotate, you're going to damage the threat / ratchet on the caliper, and if it does rotate, you'll be grinding away the face of the piston.

Reply to
SteveH

Gentlemen,

As the instigator of this thread I am disappointed that you have to have a slanging match that borders on total ignorance from the both of you, please do us all the favour of either going somewhere else to carry out your petty arguments or just shut up.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

The cone shaped part on the end of the clamp didn't rotate..

Reply to
Conor

I have an extremely high mechanical aptitude.

Reply to
Conor

So how do calipers that need to be wound back work then? Please explain to this qualified mechanic with main dealer experience.

Reply to
Conor

"campingstoveman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

NAHAY?

Reply to
Adrian

On the P6, the piston you see isn't a hydraulic piston. It is mechanically linked to the internal hydraulic piston via a self adjusting mechanism also operated by the handbrake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just a thought, but you do realise we're talking about the _rear_ brakes, don't you?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

In *your* opinion of course, just like most out-and-out bodgers do...

Reply to
:Jerry:

I already have, read the thread!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Wooo!

'cos main dealer mechanics are all highly trained professionals and not in any way bodging grease monkeys.....

Reply to
SteveH

...and who said anything about main dealers, I've never worked in a main dealer workshop in my life - as will be the case with most mechanics, it's nothing to do with were one works but the ability to (sometimes stop to) understand how something works, and thus understand the problem, and thus understand how to fix/work-around it and not just use brute force and gross ignorance - especially when it's someone else's property!

Reply to
:Jerry:

According to all the aptitude tests I've ever done and the qualifications I have...

Reply to
Conor

I was qualified when it actually meant a toss and before the ability to plug in a computer to tell you what was wrong was introduced.

Reply to
Conor

Oh yes, those "Put the square block into the square hole and the circular block into the circular hole" aptitude tests whilst the NVQs just check that you can do nuts and bolts up, no understanding as to how things work...

Reply to
:Jerry:

So how come you don't understand how these callipers work then, tell us what the set text-book was for C&G levels 1 to 4 then, or have you hit your head and forgotten all you would have learnt back then?...

Reply to
:Jerry:

I'm waiting for you to tell me. After all, you're the one claiming I don't know so educate me.

tell

There's no such thing as level 4 CGLI 383 and there was no set text book either.

Thanks for proving you never sat it.

Reply to
Conor