Tyres

I can only speak from experience from the type of person I worked with and saw at college.

Reply to
Conor

Thankyou.

Didn't say otherwise.

Reply to
Conor

It's a swing caliper - I suppose the predecessor of sliding types. The whole caliper pivots. The pads start out with wedge shaped linings then gradually become 'square' as they wear down. It has a single piston internally which acts on a self adjusting mechanism which acts on the single piston which operates one pad - the pivoting action causing the other one to grip. Similar really to a sliding design. What also worries me about Conor's 'technique' is the back op the caliper has a tin cover to allow access to the mechanism. And if you put pressure on that via a g-clamp it would likely distort and allow muck in - the last thing you want with these.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's nothing like a P6 one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's Girling - and was also used by Ford on the Mk IV Zephyrs. Probably other makes too. I think Rover were sort of forced to use it as Dunlop who made the brakes on the earlier cars stopped production.

As I said before it works extremely well - the best handbrake I've had on any car - but like anything slightly more complicated than usual is open to bodging by those more familiar with simple ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A bad workman blames his G(oogle)-cramp.

Reply to
Adrian

Assuming I have understood you correctly no I'm not, I cant abide swearing in any form or bickering about nothing in particular.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Except that Adrian and Steve were mislead by a misleading Google link, of course you would have known that instantly you followed that URL if you had ever seen (let alone worked) on a P6 rear brakes...

Reply to
:Jerry:

"campingstoveman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

What the f*ck are you doing here, then? I mean, seriously...

Reply to
Adrian

Think most here agree with you. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, both of which Conor seems to 'thick' to understand. :~(

Reply to
:Jerry:

Being "the instigator" of a thread doesn't give you any particualr priveliges.

I am disappointed that you're too pig-ignorant to know how to reply to a usenet post.

You don't get to make the rules. You certainly don't get the right to tell others to shut up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then I respectfully suggest that you f*ck off.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No Conor, it *was* called "C&G Motor Vehicle Craft Studies", you have just proved that you never took anything near the quality of apprentership I took, you basically took a collage course that taught you enough to find work in the motor trade [1] as there were no apprenterships (as such) by the mid 1980s...

[1] the courses I took could only be taken once employed in a apprentership
Reply to
:Jerry:

Not a hope. If this is the design of caliper I think, you _don't_ want to push it all, merely rotate it and let it wind itself back in (I'm familiar with this Girling design, but don't know if it's what the P6 used) It's not at all useful to apply any sort of axial pressure - it can't help, it can only jam the thread.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd agree - but not having tried it and can't anymore I'll give Conor 10% of the benefit of the doubt.

The Girling unit used by the P6 is described as a swing caliper design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this the type of tool which "attaches" to the piston with the lugs?

Which is used in conjunction with this

What I use is just a universal cube block on a 3/8" drive in which you apply hand pressure when you are winding the piston in.

is the tool which has differing lug sizes on each of the six sides.

Rob.

Yes, the following examples are the correct tools, but not for the P6, which don't have 'lugs', rather a 'L' shaped bit of sprung steel that engages with the pad or retracting tool.

It be seen in the second example that it will be almost impossible to apply excessive pressure to the piston.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Whatever...

Reply to