Widow rubber sealer

One of the fixed rear windows on my SD1 is leaking and I'm hoping to sort it properly, which will mean removing it and checking the condition of the paint etc behind the rubber. It's mounted in a conventional rubber seal which appears to be in good condition although of course it may have hardened over the years. New ones are readily available, though.

The workshop manual recommends 'Seelastik' between both glass and bodywork.

Is this still the best thing to use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many years ago I had success with something with a name like "Comma seek-n-seal". It was a liquid that you ran along the rubber-glass join, worked its way in and then went solid. No idea if it or equivalent still exists.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

That has to be typo of the week, Dave... Congrats!

Reply to
Adrian

;-) Perhaps it's not a typo...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The more famous one is 'Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' But since these windows are easily removed I'd rather do this and check the condition of the steel behind, and after use a conventional sealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any good car shop will sell a mastic type tube of windscreen sealer, which will be fine.

MrCheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you use a windscreen sealer you will never get the windows out again as this is to bond the glass to the metal frame, for fitting windscreens. Once its gone off you would have to cut it to break the bond. You might well get away with something a bit less aggressive . Ask a motor factors Al

Reply to
Al Gorithm

no, I didn't mean the permanent bond stuff, that usually only comes from windscreen places. the car shop stuff remains flexible and removable.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If it goes off it shouldn't be used for sealing windscreens. The correct stuff is a non-setting mastic called Arbomast. I buy mine from Charles Pugh (who supply the glass too).

Reply to
Chris Bolus

These windows use the 'old' method of mounting using a rubber seal - not a bonded type like the windscreen.

The original windscreen bonding used on the SD1 was poor, and the new screen I had fitted uses a modern material.

The original sealer used on the side windows was Seelastik according to the workshop manual, so I just wondered if there was likewise a better modern one. Not sure I'd trust the average counter hand in a motor factor's these days. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Sikaflex is still available for just this purpose.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Who keeps a opened bottle long enough to need that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not necessarily the first bottle, Dave...

Reply to
Adrian

And?

Reply to