Brake fluid

My 2000 should have the brake fluid changed. Any comments on changing from DOT 3 (?) to silicone

What is your opinion Dad?

Reply to
Theoldman

Poor opinion, costly, and will give a slightly softer pedal. Stick with the DOT 3 and change it more often then six years. That's unless you run circle track or let your car sit more that 6 months of the year in poor storage conditions.

To my knowledge there is far less brake problems with the C4, C5, and the C6 than there have been in the past with the C2 and C3 disk brakes that so many used the silicone fluid in due to moisture absorption.

What determined the need to change the brake fluid, color (rust) or scheduled maintenance? Other issues?

Reply to
Dad

For the brake fluid just time I assume that the previous owners did very little because the car only has 20,000 kms on it.

Got the car last year so this year I am into changing all the fluids

I th>>My 2000 should have the brake fluid changed. Any comments on

Reply to
Theoldman

DO NOT CHANGE TO Silicone, in that car.. Trying to get all the existing fluid out of the ABS unit will be a right bitch. And you absolutely can not have any DOT3 left if you change to Silicone...

There is no reas> My 2000 should have the brake fluid changed. Any comments on changing

Reply to
RicSeyler