Cummings oil change prices

My dealer charges $67.12 to change the oil in my 04 Cummings. Is that about the going price? They are a bit slow, took 2 1/2 hours today with an
appointment.
Al in Tucson

I pay about 75 in the DFW area at the Oil Xchange. Includes oil and filter and there laughable 27 point free check out where they charge you 3.00 bucks to top off your anti-freeze.
--
------MoParMaN------
---Scud Coordinates 32.61204 North 96.92989 West---

Called an independent called "The Oil Stop." Asked how much to change oil in a Dodge with a Cummins. Guy asks me if it is a car or truck? Truck. 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? 4 wheel drive. Quotes me $39.95. I asked him how much oil it holds and he says, "Is it a Diesel?" At that point I felt sorry for the boss as this guy IS their first impression maker.... Any way, he never did come up with a price. Guess I'll stick with the Dodge dealer. By the way, not yesterday, but normally they wash the truck for free.
Al
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:23:33 -0700, Big Al wrote:

..... and he says, "Is it a Diesel?"
at this point i would have said "NOPE it runs on water"
--
Chris

I had mt y oil changed at a quick lub place once, when they bought the truck out and the receipt, I noticed they added 5 quarts of oil according to the receipt. I got the manager and ask him he wanted me to sue them. He said no, I showed him the receipt and he fired the tech doing the work. Pulled the truck back in and flushed it, put in 14 quarts, a new filter, and replaced the fuel filter.
No cost to me....
You gotta watch them bastards.
--
------MoParMaN------
---Scud Coordinates 32.61204 North 96.92989 West---
Just so you Know..It is Cummins.................no"g"

So you would rather they hurried and left a lot of used oil in the pan?

Ten-thousand unemployed comedians.

Yep, thanks to me.

And one idiot! My truck sat on the drive for over two hours. The actual oil change took all of 15 minutes. The rest of the time was waiting for the invoice to print.
Al
Big Al wrote:

lol, done that too! Every time I go to pick up my truck the girl at the counter says she can't print it out because the service adviser has not closed it out. So now they have to page the adviser for the next 1/2 hour and then I go wandering around to find him. Now once its closed out the clerk calls the line to have it brought up...but, it has to go through their car wash first. They can't wash it until service releases it ya know! There goes another 1/2 hour wait.
Big Al wrote:

Thats about average. I believe the oil used is a bit more expensive than usual and it takes quite a few more quarts than a gasser.

Yep... 3 gallons of oil, plus a filter - you're looking at about $45 in materials, if bought over the counter. $22 in labor isn't an unreasonable labor charge - but the 2.5 hour wait thing needs to be improved.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Dealers aren't very good at providing fast service even for oil changes. I've had to wait that long as well. But they do it right. I'll never go to quick lube places.

I understand shops (even dealers) getting backlogged once in a while, but if I have an appointment I expect to be served relatively close to the appointment time. There is no excuse for making a customer wait 2-1/2 hours beyond his appointment time for an oil change.
--
Ken

There's no excuse paying more than the cost of the materials for an oil change. Also, you shouldn't complain since you're not the one doing the oil change. Every time I want to be without my vehicle for hours, if not days, I take it to the dealer.