Here's a question for the old timers.

Some of you may remember a guy called DD. Ring a bell with any of you?

Now those who remember Deranged Dragon, do you recall who had the program that ferreted out his home address? Or the name of the program?

Reason I'm asking is on another forum folks don't think that it is possible to do that. I remember the guy posted a map showing the location of his house. Maybe a Leo?

Reply to
Roy

That goes back a bit, doesn't it. You can find the Phaedra thread here

or
. I didn't read it all though, hope it is all you are looking for (becides range accuracy).

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

If you know his real name, you can pipl.com or zabasearch him

NOI

Roy wrote:

Reply to
thund3rstruck

Damn. Good ole DD. I'm glad he was your buddy. I think I'll keep ole Snofart over DD.

But I can't help you on the program. I never did know who had that.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

No, I think he was a Sagittarius.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Greg, that was waay below your usual standards.

Reply to
Roy

Thinking about it for a minute, that sucked!!

Your way off your game ya gotta do better.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Damn. Good ole DD. I'm glad he was your buddy. I think I'll keep ole Snofart over DD.

But I can't help you on the program. I never did know who had that.

You'd be happy as long as you had sombody to share the machine with. Of course you and Snojob are neighbors.

Was looking around regarding DD. Found his info that I had written down, he was in Wichita KS. Damned if I can find who had or what the trace tool was.

Denny

Reply to
Roy

> or
.>

Thanks, that's a start.

It didn't start out as a Phaedra thread though. IIrc, Phardra came about after DD was located.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

If you can get his IP address, you can determine which city (sometimes) the person lives in. As to specific address, you need to be able to convince the ISP to tell you, only they know, and usually due to privacy issues, they don't tell.

Folks with static IPs are easier to trace, (but there are few of us, I'm static) as dynamic IPs are reassigned from time to time by the ISP to keep things mixed up some.

Reply to
PeterD

Whoever had the trace program quickly spit out his name, adderss and a map showing a location of the house.

Reply to
Roy

Interesting... AFAIK, there are many ways to hide one's information, anonymous remailers are one example. Possibly before remailers, and ISPs who don't post header information that Usenet is supposed to have, it may have been possible.

Reply to
PeterD

I think it was CBHVAC who tracked him down

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

IIrc it was a name that begain with a S but it wasn't CBHVAC

Reply to
Roy

It wasn't only possible it was done. A few remember it. But nobody thus far can remember who. I heard from one old fart who suggested it might have been Lee. Another name from the past.

Reply to
Roy

SBM?

NOI

Reply to
thund3rstruck

Ole Budd lost his sense of hummor when he morphed into an old fart too.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I recall a similar situation on another group. A poster worked hard to figure out who a certain poster was, while that poster worked just as hard keeping his identity hidden.

It took almost a year to get it sorted out, mostly be good detective work, in matching things the poster said, his location, and other information. It was not a trivial task, and the people who worked out who he really was were very good.

(Interestingly that abuser went away, never to surface again, mostly because he keep saying "You'll never figure out who I am..."

If/when you learn more (I'll monitor this thread too...) let me know, I'm very interested in what develops.

Reply to
PeterD

Budd just seem to totally lose it. Ya figure your approaching that as well?

Reply to
Roy

This was in 2002 or so. We had this lowlife who really went overboard and sombody in a minute came up with his whole residential package. It wasn't a day it was instantly.

Reply to
Roy