Power window problem with '95 Firebird Formula

Could someone please tell me whether or not there is a manual methodology for getting a power window up that either has a bad motor or switch? My stepson's power window on the driver's side of his 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula is hosed. He doesn't have insurance or tags on his car yet--because he can't start driving it for 3 more months when he'll turn 16.

His car didn't have an owner's manual when the wife and I bought it for him last month. I looked at the fuse box lid's markings this evening and didn't see a label pertaining to a fuse/relay for the power window(s). With this said, my next two guesses would be that either there is a faulty switch for this window or the electric motor has gone bad. Do any of you guys have a ballpark price for a power window switch or motor for the 1995 Pontiac Firebird? Are they a pain to install?

Thanks in advance!

V.H.

Reply to
V.H.

power windows are a bitch, until you understand

  • how * they work. A quick and dirty fix is to take the door panel off, unplug window motor from wiring harness, and using a fused jumper, and a battery [ garden tractor battery works great ] hot wire the motor. If hot wiring doesn't move motor, motor is junk. More likely is wimpy wiring / grounds [ which are switched ]

Start at passenger side, remove kick panel, and verify power and ground with test light, have a buddy work switch [ polarities reverse ] up and down. If you get power at kick panel, pigtail from connector to window motor [ goes through accordian boot ] is at fault. * check ground screw *

If you have no power at passenger side, repeat procedure for drivers side. * more complicated, start at pss. side *

The drivers side pigtail from master switch through door is a big trouble spot.

Hope this helps

Reply to
451 CTDS