Bad sound when starting cold, 30' like i just changed the oil or its not up there...

I have a 1999 Explorer SOHC sport and when I start it in the cold weather, it sounds like I just changed by oil and there was none there for a second. I took it to the dealer and they said it was due to the timing chain recall thing. They looked at in and then said it was already done, due to the black long thing he pointed to under neat the heads. I have motorcraft oil and filter in it, filled to the top of the line. It only occurs when I dont start it for a while. If I go to start it with a little key crank, and then lewt it sit 1/2 minutes, then start it the sound is not that bad. It sound like the oil is frozen or something. Its the 5-30 oil in pa, around 35% temp in the morning. Im just worried and dont know if the guy was correct @ the store. Please help quick, I really appreciate it. My parents have the same year, 4 door SOHC and it same thing the guy pointed to under the top of the moter, and it does not do it in the cold. Thanks again. Mark E

Reply to
MarkE

Hi Mark

This is a wild guess, but are you running the correct oil filter? The reason I ask, is that certain models of filters don't have an anti-drain back valve in them, so gravity pushes the filtered oil back thru the filter, and causes a brief starving of oil til the system primes itself.

Reply to
Ted

The filter is a motorcraft FL-1A, D9AZ-6731-A from Walmart. Is this the correct one ? That is what it sounds like, like the filter leaked the oil all back in or something. It did this to the last, a different type filter too. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it ;-)

Reply to
MarkE