2007 Ford Focus Air Filter schedule.

Ford does not recommend that the air filter get changed in the 2007 for Focus with 2.0L Duretec Engine with PZEV emissions. The only time the filter gets changed is if the computer sends a code to do so. I change the air filter in our 98 ford Escort and a 95 F150 about every 30,000 miles. The vehicles may or may not need it but I feel better doing it.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind not changing the air filter? Can I change it anyway? After time this must restrict the air flow to the engine.

- John

Reply to
John Perry

You can change it whenever you feel but I think that the price might have you rethink that.

If you look closely, you will see that the filter is equipped with a restriction gauge... he more yellow band you can see, the higher the restriction...

Our region can be very dusty in the "summer" and we haven't seen the need to replace any of these filters yet.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well I tried replying earlier, but it has not appeared, so here goes again:

Take a look at

- this is an SAE paper describing the Focus Zero Maintenance Air Induction System. Be glad you have a filter that lets you know when it is restricted. I came across the following on the internet (it was primarily in regards to heavy truck air filters, but the principles are the same for cars):

"The SAE paper by Marty Barris (SAE Technical Paper No. 952557 titled: 'Total FiltrationTM: The Influence of Filter Selection on Engine Wear, Emissions and Performance' ) offers two important conclusions:

"The level of ambient dust concentration can easily overwhelm other factors in terms of influence on engine wear. It is therefore important to match the air intake filtration system design to the anticipated ambient exposure. And here's an interesting one-:

"Too frequent air filter change intervals can double engine wear rate, especially if changed within the first 30% of the air filter's life.

"The practice of removing an air filter element to blow it clean is plain stupid. This malpractice, which can lead to engine wear rates being trebled, still occurs on the false economy basis of trying to extend the service life of the air filter element. A well meaning but badly trained technician thinks he is being thorough in servicing the air filter, or replacing it prior to reaching the optimum life of the element. This happens in workshops without supervisors even being aware of it."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Wow, thabk you. I am impressed.