Door locks

This morning as I got in my Mustang and locked the doors, the door locks on both the passenger and driver's side started to misbehave. For some odd reason, they lock then unlock themselves in an infinite loop. I had both motors disabled as a temporary solution.

The mechanic who inspected my car said that both door lock motors need to be replaced. This would be an expensive job. The total would be around $370.

Does the mechanic's assessment sound correct to you? Is it really possible that both motors failed at the same time? If so, the cause must be the same.

This is my second post in a week (sigh)...so I really hope I won't have any new problems to report for a while.

In the meantime, thanks for your help.

Reply to
gccntn

A year might be an idea so that we can figure if there is a module involved... C'mon folks, it's only common sense...

Your mechanic should see if his old job at McDonalds is still open... I don't see this as being a doorlock motor problem (imagine that, they both failed at exactly the same time....).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Working at McDonalds is for the uneducated. Not the stupid.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"gccntn" wrote

Went into the door and pulled the wires? Pulled the fuse?

Approximate odds of that: 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Is this the 98 3.8 with the A/C problem mentioned in another group?

Your "mechanic" has decided to start throwing parts at it right off the bat without really knowing what's wrong. Hey, you're paying, why not?

If the lock motors are like the ones in older models, they're just simple electric motors with two wires, connected to the linkage. Apply power to one wire, ground the other, the motor spins in one direction, pulls the linkage, and locks the door. Switch the power and ground to the opposite wires, it spins the other way and unlocks.

Some guesses:

- Something (pop, coffee, hairpin) spilled on/in one of the door switches, shorting the contacts inside.

- Bad relay(s), doing the same thing.

- Car alarm (does it have one?) can't decide whether to lock/unlock.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Tell your mechanic he's just lost your business...

That system is like the nervous system of a dumb animal; you dont transplant the muscle for twitching when the brain is damaged.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It really sounds more like a system problem than just a door lock (pair) solenoid replacement; something to do with the AutoLock function, which can be programmed in or out. Do get a 2nd opinion.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

It really sounds more like a system problem than just a door lock (pair) solenoid replacement; something to do with the AutoLock function, which

can be programmed in or out. Do get a 2nd opinion.

Well I have a 1994 Taurus, I didn't get the factory alarm. I did go and purchase the factory alarm fom Ford in 1994. Well about a year after installing this unit it decided to do things differantly. Whatever logic it had; it forgot and thought things should be done differently. Well when you go to Walmart and other places that use the same frequency it will activate the alarm (opening and closing the door locks) Once and while; while driving on the highway it will also open and close the door locks. No it's not a wiring problem. No it's not a loose solder on the board of the controller. It's messed up programing in the unit or a defective unit that has taken on another frequency for it use. Just happens to be what most store use?!? It is possible that the alarm system is causing this problem. Additionally in my case the left (Drivers side) passenger door doesn't work correctly SO when you unlock the doors the door OPENS by itself. SO add the alarm unlocker at your favorite store with a door that opens automatically... Walla; in Walmart at the time.... Licence number 182839 Ford Wagon green with it;s door open, please go outside and check it. I lived with it for a long time, finally about 1 month ago I disconnected the unlock motor in the door. Yeah the door did open on the highway and I would just reach back and close it. I don't know what made me lazy to repair it. I disconnected it maily because I could not find the reason for it opening the door. All the linkages have free travel, there doesn't seems to be any adjustment. Strange but it didn't happen from new.

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r