from pad to backyard mech re:idles rough

my 1999 ford escort does idle high when cold i thought it was normal what should it idle at

Reply to
pad

"pad" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

well, the old term for what I wondered is, "does the engine'RACE'" when cold... that is TOO high.

Generally the engine will go to about 1200- 1700 rpm for a few second.. then gradually down to 1000 rpm.

If it stays high until you kick the pedal, that's a symptom.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hello Backyard,

I won't even tell you how long ago it was that I owned anything with four cylinders. Suffice to say that it had a carburetor and the 'idle speed controller' was a little screw preventing the throttle from closing altogether. Yet idling at 1000 RPM sounds a bit high, even for a little engine. Just wondering...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Backyard Mechanic"

Reply to
Happy Traveler