Older Tbirds

I have a 97 Tbird I bought a couple of years ago. The seller had only one key for the car. As it also had the remote fob to lock/unlock the doors, I didn't worry about a second key, like my 94 Tbird.

A week ago, my battery went dead while the car was locked. The only key I had fit in the door locks, but would not turn. A locksmith was called, looked things over and said some of the tumblers in the locks were frozen, so I continue using the remote to lock the doors.

Question 1: Did the 97 Tbird come with one or two keys? My 94 has two; a square one for the ignition and doors, and a round one for the trunk.

Also, the remote, with new batteries, is giving me fits! I may have to press the unlock button several times for it to activate the locks. Sometimes I have to strike it against my leg a couple of times to make it work.

Now I know, from talking to the local Ford garage, I cannot have them make a new key using the PIN as their records go back only ten years.

Question 2: Where/how can I get a new remote for my car? I am afraid the remote is going to quit completely one day while the car is locked, and I will be up the creek without a paddle.

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, hints?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Gerri

Reply to
Gerri

Look at the instructions here

and see if yours looks like what it's describing. Remotes can be had from numerous sites on line, including Amazon and eBay.

Reply to
SC Tom

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I would make dam sure I had a working key lock. either loosen it up or get a junk yard replacement. (I suppose you could learn to jimmy the door) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I know I would have to on my '02 Escape if I only had one (says so in the manual), but on the link it pretty much intimates you don't need any more than one. The way it sounds, you would be reprogramming the first one and any subsequent ones you have at the time.

Reply to
SC Tom