Starting Problem

Hello,

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus and the car wouldn't start the other day.

I then tried to jump it and it wouldn't work. I took it to a shop and they said that the starter & battery are no good. I then replaced those two items.

A few days ago, my car woulnd't start. I took the key out and tried it again and again. Finally after like 10 times it started. I could hear the starter spinning and the battery seems fine. I then looked around on the internet and someone said that it could be the battery cable had a short or possibly the ignition coil. This exact same thing happens every 2-3 days and I'm concerned that one day it will not start.

What do you think that it is?

Ignition coil or possible the battery cable?

Sometimes when I have the problem and drive home. I then turn off the car and start it 3-4 times and it works fine.

Reply to
John

When you say the starter is spinning, do you mean that the starter is turning the engine or is the starter spinning without turning the engine?

On the engine, there is a big plate at the back of the engine with a big gear on it called a flywheel. If the teeth on the gear are worn out, the starter could spin without turning the engine.

If the starter is turning, it is probably not the battery cable.

Or possibly 20 other things.

I think you need a new mechanic.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

I meant the starter is making a noise meaning it's working.

The AAA guy tested the battery and cables and said that the negative cable should be replaced because the reading is not quite right on his meter.

Not sure if this is accurate or not though.

Reply to
John

It could be a bad starter, or a bad cable or something else.

Without looking at the car, we can't tell.

I think you need to take the car to a competent mechanic.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

If the starter spins but the cars engine does not, its a bendix or overrunning clutch in the starter. In the 70's they sold replacements for about $12. I don't think most autoparts stores sell replacement starter motor parts these days.

Reply to
George Jetson

Sounds like the good old stripped ring gear issue.

Reply to
clare

Maybe we have a problem of semantics here. When I used to do auto repairing a good customer called me and said his car would not start. I asked him if it would turn over and he said no. I told him several things to do such as clean the battery cable clamps and check for loose connections in all the battery cable connections. He reported that it still would not turn over. I went over to his place and turned the key, RRRRRRR - it turned over OK. His problem was that he did not know the difference between "turn over" and "start". Engineman

Reply to
engineman