Moon Roof mechanism

The moon roof of a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW wagon is controlled by two switches. #1 tilts the rear edge of the MR up half an inch, and back to the closed position. #2 slides the whole MR to the rear (approx. 10 inches), and back to the closed position.

After 5 years use, switch #1 appears faulty: when the roof is open in position #1 the switch does not close it: the roof moves from open to closed and then back to open again. But the roof can be closed by using switch #2, which tilts the roof back to the horizontal, then slides it back, and a second prod closes the roof as required.

Is this a known problem with moon roofs after years of use? Is there a standard fix?

Reply to
Don P

The standard fix would be replacing the switch, if it is the switch.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

:>The moon roof of a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW wagon is controlled :>by two switches. #1 tilts the rear edge of the MR up half an inch, :>and back to the closed position. #2 slides the whole MR to the :>rear (approx. 10 inches), and back to the closed position. :>

:>After 5 years use, switch #1 appears faulty: when the roof is :>open in position #1 the switch does not close it: the roof moves :>from open to closed and then back to open again. But the roof :>can be closed by using switch #2, which tilts the roof back to :>the horizontal, then slides it back, and a second prod closes :>the roof as required. :>

:>Is this a known problem with moon roofs after years of use? :>Is there a standard fix?

Yep there is a "standard fix". The procedure is in the Owner Manual. I had to do it once on my 2002 ZX5 and after selling the car to my brother in 2004 he's had to do it once. My 2004 SVT Focus has never had the moonroof fail.

If you don't have the Owner Manual you can go to:

Select the Maintenance Tab and then Select Owner Manuals. Download the PDF file and then look for the moonroof "relearning function".

me/2

Reply to
me/2

:>Don P wrote: :>> The moon roof of a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW wagon is controlled :>> by two switches. #1 tilts the rear edge of the MR up half an inch, :>> and back to the closed position. #2 slides the whole MR to the :>> rear (approx. 10 inches), and back to the closed position. :>> :>> After 5 years use, switch #1 appears faulty: when the roof is :>> open in position #1 the switch does not close it: the roof moves :>> from open to closed and then back to open again. But the roof :>> can be closed by using switch #2, which tilts the roof back to :>> the horizontal, then slides it back, and a second prod closes :>> the roof as required. :>> :>> Is this a known problem with moon roofs after years of use? :>> Is there a standard fix? :>

:>The standard fix would be replacing the switch, if it is the switch. :>

:>Jeff

Nope, the standard fix is in the Owner Manual. The moonroof has to be put through a "relearning" process. See my other post.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

Thanks for this. Reprogramming does not work i.e. the control circuit seems damaged (but not the mechanism). Off to the dealer, I suppose.

Reply to
Don Phillipson