1986 f-150 4x4 cab mount question.

i think i may have a broken cab mount on my truck. everytime i go over uneven ground i hear a pop type noise comeing from under drivers side cab floor. my question is. is it possible to change cab mounts without removing the cab of the truck? maybe unbolt the mount and raise the cab slghtly with a jack and slide out the mount and replace. any help and advice would be appreciated. thankyou.

Reply to
joemooney

Assuming the cab is mounted in a similar manner as the body on a Jeep, yes, you can replace the mounts without taking the cab off.

It is possible, it's actually the right way to do the job, on a Jeep by removing the mount bolts all on one side, and use a jack to raise the body to slide the new body cushions.

You are likely to find a body mount bolt that has fallen out. Given that you are working on an '86, it's possible that the mount on the body has broken off, which is a problem that I'm not sure how to address. You're going to have to figure out what the problem really is.

Since you report issues when going over bumps, you may need to inspect the suspension components for wear and tear -- shock mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suggest a close inspection of the mounts, so you really know if that is in fact the problem.

If so, use a urethane bushing/mount instead of the rubber (soft) type. I would replace them all (cab mounts), if I was going to install one mount.

I replaced radial arm bushing in my 94 Bronco with urethane, and what a difference.

Take the truck into a shop with a lift and really inspect the mounts.

Reply to
Oren

thank you both for helping me, your right i should put it up on a lift and inspect better. when i do the job i will replace all cab mounts with the urethane ones. and probably do the radius arms as well. thanks again for the insight.

Reply to
joemooney