2004 F150 - K&N Filter

shit

that should read 3/2 = 1.50 = 150 %

goddam arthritis

message

Reply to
TranSurgeon

yeah but the math makes the numbers sound horrible...

i mean think about it.... if the 98% filter allows 2ppm dirt through and the 97 lets 50% more through which would be 2 + .5 *2 = 1

so 2 + 1 = 3ppm

3 ppm aint crap

i dont know what the measurement is however there is not that big of a diffeerent between 98% and 97% you make it sound like half the stuff coming in is dirt and thats not true

lets use silly numbers... normally lets say a pound of dirt enters.... with a k&n (based on your claim a pund and a half will enter therefore being 50% more dirt...)

how much more air entered though? there is more to this equation then just dirt entry

Thanks, Ken Ken

message

Reply to
Mercury

so far so good

your engine will disagree

only in you mind

wrong

if 'normally a pound of dirt enters with a K$N', then the factory unit will allow 2/3 of a pound to enter

we weren't discussing 'air', we were discussing filtration, and what is filtered is 'dirt'

really ? what then ? air flow ? the factory filter already ha sufficient air flow, else the engine would run rich

back to you, Bournelli...............

Reply to
TranSurgeon

welp i can argue no more.... the best thing for me to do is remove the air filter and check what kind of crap is on the inside of the tube... i suspect nothing... however icant do all this in the rain because I dont feel like getting wet... and its like a jungle over here...

BS.... half the intake is not dirt... prove it... if you get 5cc's of air you mean to tell me that 2.5cc's is dirt... the engine wouldnt even run man....

BS it is the same example as before... two perfect examples... first the one u agreed on... 2ppm with stock means 3ppm with k&n... you agreed on this... that means 50% more dirt flows through the k&n filter.. ok great...

now insted of 2ppm use 1lb... 1* .5 = .5 then .5 + 1 = 1.5

where did we go wrong?

arent you saying that a k&n lets 50% more dirt in... doesnt that mean that a stock filter lets 50% less dirt in...?

Where did you pull these percentages from anyway? give me a study so i can go check it out...

Thanks, Ken

sufficent yes but not an abundance of it... and to treat the engine better for higher performance you need more air flow...

Reply to
Mercury

we?

what's this 'we' crap ?

YOU postulated, and I quote: 'let's say a pound of dirt enters with a K&N'

nope

inverse of 3/2 is 2/3, not 1/2

Reply to
TranSurgeon

whats the matter no comment here?

Care to try and fefend your statement that 50% dirt is getting in?

I dare ya

we meaning you and I misunderstanding eachother... now i get your point... well taken..... i still dont think 50% of all intake with a k&n is dirt.... prove that for me

Where did you get these numbers or did you pull them out of the (pardon the pun, AIR)

Kenny

Reply to
Mercury

stupid statements do npt merit an answer, but just this once

'50% MORE dirt', not '50% of total intake volume'

never said it was

I said that the 3% allowed to pass by a K$N is 50 per cent MORE than what the stock filter allows (2%)

once more:

2% = 0.02 3% = 0.03

0.03 / 0.02 = 1.50 = 150%

150% - the 100% that the stock filter passes = 50 % more

they are figures that were posted over in alt.autos.dodge.trucks

do a google search of that group with subject 'K&N' and you will find it all there

Reply to
TranSurgeon

a google search

heres a comment from the following web page:

""August 6, 2004 I installed one of your filters on my 4.8 2000 Sierra when it was a year old and the difference was remarkable but what sold me on its worth was getting stuck in mud up to its doors and inhaling a large amount of mud, the filter stood up to all the mud caked in it and did not allow any to enter the engine, I drove the truck home 40 miles before I could clean the filter and in my opinion the filter saved my engine.

PS - this was in the jersey pine barrens which has sand laced mud

Joe Catanese New Brunswick, NJ""

Maybe tomarrow after work ill take a look at the inside of the intake tube to check for dirt...if weather permits...

HP increases with cold intake... the air box surronding the stock element does nothing but hold heat....

Kenny

Reply to
Mercury

where's the dyno figures to back up the 'increased HP/torque' claims ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

most likely the same spot as your bogus percentage numbers,.,,

I will say this though... i removed the filter elemernt today (it was nice out) I felt inside the intake tube and it was the cleanest thing on my truck... not a spec of dirt in there... i wiped it with a white cloth and nothing... so to say i get too much dirt in my intake i say youre full of crap

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Mercury

Not Trans's fault you don't have an understanding of basic mathematics. Hopefully you'll sell your truck before it needs a new engine.

examples...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

hey man i asked him a few times where he got the percentage numbers (I understand the logic silly)

where does he get facts? that 97% trapped dirt for a k&n vs. 98% for a stock...

you can all sit here and tell me whatever ya want about the dirt getting in my truck... I dont care cause i know its not true... I stick to facts... i checked my intake tube and its clean as a whistle...

where did transurgeon get the 97% and 98% ???

nobody can anwser me that...

heres some facts

FACTS AND DATA>>>> Nice to read about something before blabbing about bogus numbers... 97% 98% ... all here say...

maybe the thing does let in more dirt...

but the stock filter lets dirt in too... there is no filter that will trap all the dirt...

so i measure my gain vs. risk assesment... the risk is low as im not getting any visable dirt in the intake...

you need some pretty large particles of dirt to really hurt an engine... sure small amounts can clog injectors etc... but the larger ones are what cause damage... scratching the cylender walls etc...

im going to continue using my k&n cause it works and it saves me time and money

a half hour of my time is worth say 12bux... plus the 6$ for the stock filter every 12000 miles... so thats 18$ per filter... 250 / 18 (250 is what i paid for the k&n)

that gives me about 13 changes to make up the price of the k&n I am being being favorable to the stock filter here as well... however that leavs me with 12000 * 13 = 156000 miles... anything over 156000 miles costs me money... thats not to mention disposing of the old air filters that are stock where as with the k&n the filter lasts the life of the vechile

Reply to
Mercury

Wow, you really are hooked buy the marketing, aren't you?

Doesn't mention filtration.

Doesn't mention filtration results.

Notice that the temp recorded when the K&N equipped test vehicle was tested was almost 12 degrees lower. Lower temp=higher absolute pressure=more oxygen. For a fairer comparison, all the variables should have been the same. And, again, it doens't mention filtration performance

Again, doesn't mention filtration performance.

Try looking here

for the only independent test of filtration that I could find on the 'net.

person to distinguish facts and data from marketing hype. Why aren't the filtration specs on the website?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Why are there NO dyno figures to back up the 'more HP / torque' claim ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I'm with you Ken. I use K&N filters on my vehicles and none of the anti-chumps are going to tell me they don't work. With over 180K on our '96 Explorer and 130K on our '93 Ranger they can kiss my ass!

SMC

Reply to
MOTO

I dunno. Seems like some folks have FAR too much time on their hands. The guy that said he had 22,000 miles on his K+N and it was "like new" said it all.If it was FILTERING it would be black with dirt. Some guy gave me one once and I held it up to the light and I could SEE direct light shining through hundreds of little holes.I could see that it was junk and never used it. Brian

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

Every auto manufacturer has teams of engineers doing cost analysis on this junk. Do you really believe that they would not jump a chance to save 2% mileage in a cost effective way? If you do, keep the aluminum foil beany on so the fellows in the black helicopters don't find you!

Every era has it's own "Miracle Device"

To my Dad it was the "Fish" Carburetor, saved 25% of the fuel

Than we has "Spitfire" spark plugs. Good for 10%

Remember the little gadget that you put on top of your coil to intensify the spark? I'm not sure how much those save, maybe 20%

Fuel Line magnets will save you another 20%

How about one of those little fan devices that you put under the carburetor, I bet that will save 25%

If you put all these devices on the car and you add a K&N filter.

Would the gas tank overflow?

Pete Fools and their money are soon parted.

Reply to
Peter T. Arnold

Probably because peterheads like you wouldn't want to/aren't capable of cleaning and re-oiling them?

SMC

Reply to
MOTO

ask them im sure they will be happy to provide

Reply to
Mercury

I have the FIPK on my 91 Bronco. I have the outerwear over the filter because I get into the dust quite a bit. The inside of my tubes, dual snorkel, are clean as well. I have had that on my truck for a couple years now. Truck has over 170,000 miles, motor runs great still. I noticed a pretty good difference in power after I installed the FIPK. I had just the K&N filter prior to that. Didn't notice a difference in power. With the FIPK, a noticeable difference for sure.

Reply to
Pfunk20000