87 F150 Hard to Shift.

OK, I've got an 87 F150 with a 4.9L engine, 4 speed manual transmission. Lately, the sucker has been really hard to shift and I mean really hard! Does it have a hydraulic clutch or is there a cable. In either case is it possible to adjust it? If hydraulic, can you add fluid to the master cylinder and what type does it take? What can I do?

Reply to
go_drastc

You probably have the typical firewall failure around the clutch master cylinder. Also, this is caused by lack of lube on the clutch fork. Inspect the firewall around the clutch master cylinder, repair as needed, (there is a kit) and yank the clutch fork out and lube the ball pivot area. Reassemble all parts, bleed the clutch and you should be good to go. Another possibility is that you are low on fluid in the clutch master cylinder. If this is the case, then either the master or slave is leaking. Replace both AND the plastic line.

Reply to
Steve Barker

OK, I'll check that out and let you know. thanks.

Reply to
go_drastc

Hard to shift how? Does it feel like clutch is not releasing or is it tranny itself?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
go_drastc

Is it clashing gears doing it?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Only when putting it into reverse do the gears clash/clunk. I checked the fluid level in the master cylinder. It was down a bit. Added to it. I haven't had a chance to give it a try, partly because of time and partly because I don't want the sucker to stop shifting altogether while tesiting it, especially since its at home right now. I know I'll have to "be brave" and try it out.

Reply to
go_drastc

If you can't push that clutch clear to the floor with two or three fingers, then it is binding up at the fork. And I'll bet a daylight donut your firewall is flexing at the clutch master cylinder.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I can actually push the clutch to the floor no problem. I checked the firewall flex as mentioned and it is not flexing.

Reply to
go_drastc

When is the last time you checked or changed the transmisson fluid/lube? Many neglect this.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Years ago I made the mistake of taking an '87 Ranger to be serviced at Jiffy Lube while on a long distance trip.

In addition to the oil/filter change, they recommended changing the transmission lube because it had just turned 50k miles.

I stupidly said, "OK".

They drained it and filled it up with 90 weight gear lube. The manual transmission (made by Mazda) called for automatic transmission fluid.

Talk about hard to shift!

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Well I thought that it may be a fluid issue so, I have changed the tranny fluid. Still the same. I'm starting to think that its either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. Its almost like the clutch doesn't get pushed in quite enough. Can you adjust a hydraulic clutch at all?

Reply to
go_drastc