Rob

Reply to
Rob

Maybe ask at rec.audio.car

Reply to
I. Care

See the holes in the face along the sides? Those are made to receive a simple, U shaped tool. Go to the parts store and ask for the radio removal tool.

In all actuality, you can do it with coathangers, or just about anything that'll go back in there. It's easier with the simple little tool tho.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks

Reply to
Rob

As others have noted, there are two sets of holes on each side of the radio. Go to Pep Boys/Autozone/etc and get the radio removal tool. They are "U" shaped with small balls at the tips, and snap right into the latch. At Pep Boys, they were $5 and change, and, I would have paid twice that. I had fought with coat hanger hooks for an hour with no success. the hanger wire was bending, or one side would release and the other would not, and, it was just an AMAZINGLY frustrating experience. WIth the right tool, it took about 30 seconds. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

I too learned the hard way. The tool is worth its weight in gold.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

When you get the U-shaped removal tool it should be pushed in 1/4 to

1/2 inch and then spread *out* slightly at the U end of the handle. This will release the spring-latches inside and you can then pull out the radio. But, your problem may well be with the speakers themselves. I just inherited a 1993 Ranger that sounded like you described. The speakers in the doors were rotted out and the cones wobbling around. If they do this too long the coils in the cones can go intermittant. Either way, they sound bad and can come/go depending on whether the cone gets stuck. Replacements are available at Best Buy and are sized to fit Ford vehicles which use a non-standard size (6x8 I think).
Reply to
tepintexas