98 expedition window problem

My 98 Expedition driver window will often not go down or will stop midway intermittantly. Changed the motor and the proble continues. Turns out when the switch is depressed the motor is only getting 8 volts (in the window up direction it gets the full 12 volts). Swapped out relays and no change in symptoms.

All ideas on solving this problem are appreciated.

TIA,

Mike

Reply to
michaelmcentee1

Take the switches apart and clean them. That helps mine for months and months.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I really don't know but perhaps this will help.

There is a current limiting device that prevents the (dc) motor from burning up if you hold the switch down. I thought it was internal to the motor but I suppose it doesn't have to be. Might be worth looking into. When a dc motor stalls it draws a lot more current. The current limiting device will then drop the applied voltage (to the motor) to keep the motor from burning up.

Double check that you get 0 volts across the switch when you activate it.

You need to find out where the (12 - 8 =) 4volts is being dropped across. It is something between the motor and the battery ... for sure.

Reply to
- HAL9000

Why swap a relay? I'd be looking at the switch itself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
djdave

I suggest you join the Expedition Owner's Group mailing list and ask the question to that group. See

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White