98 sienna window problem

The driver's side window of our 98 Sienna is having problems. It goes down no problem but when trying to raise it, it goes a little bit at a time. Give it a few minutes between tries and it will come up a little more. It's as if the motor gets tired or hot or something. I am wondering if I can just change the motor or is the regulator possibly the problem. Is this something that is fairly easy to change on my own and how much should I expect to pay for a new motor? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
heycraig

Possible causes are the motor, a regulator that is binding, and the master switch. Start by disconnecting the motor from the regulator, applying 12 volts to both sets of terminals, and see if the motor operates normally. Also try moving the regulator without the motor attached to see if it binds.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O,

I changed the motor yesterday. Fairly easy. The hardest part was getting the door panel off, particularly the armrest to get to the screws under it. I would recommend buying the proper tool to help pry the panel and armrest off. The regulator seemed to be in good working order and the window wasn't binding. So I changed the motor, lubed the regulator, and lubed the window channels. So far so good. It works much better than the passenger side window now which leads me to believe that the passenger side motor will be next. Thanks for your input. By the way, I found a rebuilt motor on the Kragen (Parts America) website for 77.00. When I called my local Kragen to verify that they had the part in stock they quoted me 110.00. I told them about the web price and they said to print that page and bring it in to get that price. That's what I did and they honored the price.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
heycraig

Craig,

Thanks for the update. The fact that an aftermarket motor is available leads me to suspect that there are sufficient failures to warrant an aftermarket rebuilder to invest in them.

I agree on the trim removal tool and have had a Snap-On one for over 20 years. All Toyotas share very similar methods for interior door panel attachment so if you know how one works, you pretty much know them all.

Glad to hear you're back up and running!

Reply to
Ray O