Anit-Freeze removal - '99 Expedition

Hi,

Anyone know how to get ALL the antifreeze out of an Expedition with a 5.4 liter. I can only drain about half of the listed capacity. I there a block drain, where is it?

Thanks in advance, Rob

Reply to
<rnnm

There are a couple of drain plugs on either side of the block under the freeze plugs. If you remove these you will be able to get some, but not all, of the coolant out of the block. With the engine installed in the vehicle, you can only drain about 80% of the coolant from the system.

Regards,

Ed White

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>

Reply to
C. E. White

On my girl friend's '96 t-bird with a 4.6 I decided against pulling the block drain plugs. :/ Instead I pulled the lower engines hose off after backing it up on ramps every day for a week. I could get about 2/3s of the old stuff out and would replace it with purified water until it looked clean enough to me. The setup sucks donkey dick. In a couple years, I'll have to re-consider my method.

Hidden to beat hell if my experience is any indicator. :)

On my '75 F150 I drilled out and retapped for larger plugs while the engine was out for overhaul, man does it work out nice. I drilled and tapped at a little different/better angle than original too.

(square headed plugs + a 7/16" 8 point, 1/2" drive socket :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj