F-250 Diesel opinions wanted

I am shopping around for a used 2000 - 2001 F-250 diesel 4X4 and would appreciate any comments from folks who have one and how they like it. I need a heavy hauler and I also need economy for a long commute (previously achieved with a combo of a '79 F-250 for hauling and an Escort beater ride with 217,000 miles but 30mpg economy). I ran into an individual with a 2000 model who reported his F-250 diesel to be a very strong runner and also

27mpg economy - is this a good representation of what to expect? Info is greatly appreciated! I always like to hear what "real people" have to say. Thanks!
Reply to
Rhyno
27 mpg sounds very high, especially for a 4X4. Suppose you could get there, unloaded, driving slow, freeway only, with a very low ration rear end.

My '99 4X2, SRW, super cab, short box will get about 18mpg in mixed driving, a little more on freeways, with the 3.73 rear end.

Remember to compare diesel prices in your area to gasoline, as you're really concerned about miles per dollar, not miles per gallon.

-- frosty

Rhyno wrote:

Reply to
frosty

I have a 97 F250 PSD E4OD 4x4 long bed with a 4.10 I use to haul a 11,000 fifth wheel. When I don't tow, I get about 18 mpg, when I tow I get about 11 mpg.

I don't know if I purchased a "Monday" truck BUT the truck is sitting in the dealer's right now having the transmission rebuilt for the second time. The first time it went in at 55,000 miles, I was told a "slip ring" had fallen off (I am not mechanically inclined) and this is the first time the mechanics had seen that happen.

The second time, the trans leaked around the front seal at around 88,000.

The third, and present time and 91,000 miles, the transmission fluid had burnt and the seals were cracked and dried; unknown what caused this problem. Since it is under warranty, a long story, the warranty folks decided to have the existing trans rebuilt rather than replaced. Will see what happens.

I like the power and have no complaints on the engine or the body; I just wish this damn transmission was more reliable!

Mike

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

Reply to
Mike Erb

Your poor command of the English language must have a terrible influence on your girls. The English used in the school where you don't want your girls to go, has got to be better that what they are accustomed to hearing at home. It is quite possible that your own English might improve if you were to attend that school also. Good Luck

Reply to
Lester

What kind of asshole are you?

Reply to