Follow-up on F-250 Diesel opinions wanted

The 2000 F-250 PSD that reported upper mid 20's for mileage was equipped with a performance chip. I haven't run into the guy since I first talked to him to get more information - he did mention that his F250 is quicker than his camaro so I don't know just how heavily modified his engine is. Could some of you guys with a chip enhanced 7.3 PSD's toss in your 2 cents worth? Any good chip recommendations? How much chip would be "too much"? I know there are a lot of tasty hardware mods besides the chips, but I won't be able to spend a ton of $$$ right away. A lot of the time I would be using this truck for a long commute with the occasional heavy haul. I'm looking to capitalize on better fuel economy than a gas powered F-250 can deliver and any mods to a diesel that will enhance both power and economy while not significantly jeopardizing the engine's lifespan. Even with the increased cost of maintenance I think I can save a good amount of money - I can replace two vehicles with one and diesel fuel is within about 8 cents of regular gas in my area. Thanks also to the guys who posted links to The Diesel Stop.

Reply to
Rhyno

Haven't added any parts or chips to my PSD yet but would caution you against the more radical mods if you are going to use your rig for daily driving. Just as in gas engines, the harder you push it, the shorter the lifespan. Granted a PSD has a pretty long predicted lifetime so you may not be shaving much off with some of the less radical mods. I read an account over on dieselstop of a guy that had a decked out PSD with chip, exhaust, bigger turbo, propane injection, ...etc. and his busted on him while cruising the highway not even into the power. I'm sure the fella spent plenty of time flogging it at carious opportunities before then but at the time of failure (rod thrown through block) he was just on his way down the highway.

Diesel prices here are close to gas as well. I live in Pasadena, MD and have been using Amoco diesel for $1.499 while regular gas is about $1.449 at the same station.

Reply to
BunnMan

The chips make the mileage computers tell lies.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I just filled yesterday for $1.49 in Oregon. Where you don't have to get out of your car! They still pump your gas, wash your windshield, etc etc. Despite the oil companies lobbying to force self-serve to allow alleged lower prices! Gas is cheaper in Oregon than two neighboring states, Wash and Cal.

Reply to
pdb

Reply to
Richard Cox

I can't imagine anyone ever believing one of those built in displays. 'Course most people today wouldn't have a clue as to how to figger it themselves.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Me either!!!

Well, unless they compared it doing the math and found it was accurate (+/- 1/2 mpg anyway.)

Oh wait, I did and mine is!!!

Don't ask me what I can't imagine......

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

That's something I hadn't considered - how this guy was arriving at his mileage estimates. I had assumed the traditional "get out a calculator and do the math method" since the old iron that I'm retiring was from way before onboard trip readouts! I'll probably cross paths with this guy before long and I'll be sure to ask him if he's going by the mileage computer readout. Thanks again for the relevant replies to my post - the info is very helpful since I'm new to the PSD engines.

Reply to
Rhyno