F-250 in my future?

Hi all, I have been doing a little shopping the past week. My current vehicle is no longer adequate for my needs. I am seriously considering buying a truck. I prefer the Fords. I like the amenities in the 2004 F-150 however they do not offer it in a Manual Transmission. So that's out. I spent a better part of today checking out and driving the F-250 XLT and the Dodge 2500s. The Dodge did not excite me as much as the Ford. I really like the F-250. The only downer is the lack of room behind the seat in the standard cab. I am not willing to upgrade to a SuperCab for the extra room. The SuperCab would not fit in my garage.

So here are questions about the F-25o: Are there any problem areas with the vehicle past and present? Engine (5.4L V8 gasoline)? transmission (6 speed manual)? electrical? other under hood items? body fit and finish?

4 wheel shift on the fly? brakes (ABS)? warping rotors? security systems add ons? limited slip rear? suspension? power seats? Air Conditioning? heater? I know it is a lot to ask, but I am making a jump from a foreign made car to a North American Made Truck.

Thanks for your help, Michelle

Reply to
Michelle P

I don't have a problem with Dodge motors but I'll tell ya the truck will fall apart around it !! Buy the Ford,I've owned two with excellent results...... The older E40D transmissions had problems with diesels but I haven't any idea about with the gas motor.If you tow anything large or heavy I highly suggest at least an F250-F350....Good luck !!

Reply to
Burnett

why manual trans?? the automatic is much better.

Reply to
Falcoon

Better for what?

Reply to
351CJ

Driving down a bumpy road and not spilling your Mt. Dew. :) Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Overall a good engine. Earlier models have blown out spark plugs and it is a spendy fix. Problem seems to have been solved, but I'd be leary of letting anyone but the Ford dealer mess with the plugs. I'd skip the 5.4L and go with the 6.8L V-10. Same engine design with two more cylinders and HP/torque better matched to drag the bigger truck around.

I've got a 5sd in mine and it is OK. Already had the clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing and hydraulic slave assembly replaced at 70K+ miles. I'm easy on clutches, so this was a real disapointment. The slave assemblies have been a source of failure, but overall I don't think my problems have been normal. Much better resale with an automatic and is something to consider.

No complaints.

The auto front hubs can give you problems if you don't use them regularly. They will stop engaging/disengaging on command. Not only is it annoying, but it can be a safety issue if you think you are in

4wd on an iced over highway but aren't. The good news is the manual override on the hubs is available and takes the guesswork out of whether or not you are really in 4wd. My hubs have been acting up for the last 15K miles or so, but I haven't had them apart yet to fix. My dad's Super Duty hasn't had the hub problems, but he was engaging his more frequently than I was.

A common problem on these trucks in the past. Don't know if it has really been addressed by Ford or not.

Mine works surprisingly well.

A real buckboard ride. I don't recommend this truck unless you really need the capacity/ability. It isn't so bad if you spend most of your time on smooth highways, but on rougher roads it will bounce you around quite a bit. The F-150, while not as capable, is the better choice as far as ride and handling.

Speaking of handling, my Super Duty has the worst steering of any vehicle I've ever owned. It tracks nice and straight, but there isn't any road feel. I'm still running the factory Firestones, so maybe a different brand might help. I chalk it up to being a low tech/traditional live front axle with over-assisted power steering box.

No problem, but only available on the driver's side.

Both have been adequate.

It is a BIG change. Not a bad one if you know what you are getting into. Just DIFFERENT. Before buying, takes LOTS of test drives and make sure you encounter some rough roads.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Reply to
Michelle P

Reply to
Michelle P

Ditto. I don't like automatics, and really hate some, such as my dad's Saturn. It just doesn't respond half as well as a manual.

In fact, I wouldn't have my truck if it wasn't a manual (because the prev. owner's son would have it instead).

I've read that the gas mileage difference is beginning to swing the other way with newer developments in auto trans. technology.

Nonetheless, I much prefer a manual. I'm very disappointed to hear that the F-150 no longer comes with a manual transmission. I certainly won't buy a new one, for that much money, if I can't get the features I want. So do a number of my friends too.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Derrick, You can still get a F-150 in a manual in the "heritage" line. You get a basic truck no extras no frills. The Heritage was a little too basic for me. I guess I should have said you cannot get the Manual in the X series. XL, STX, XLT, FX4 and the Lariat (XXL) ;-)

Michelle

Derrick 'dman' Huds>>

Reply to
Michelle P

Ah, that's good. My current F-1150 (1993) has the XLT package and

4-speed plus overdrive manual, but I bought it used last summer so I don't know what specifically is and isn't part of that. I'm not too concerned about most of the extras anyways. I wonder if Ford did a population study and determined that most of the people who want a manual also don't care for air conditioning and the like ... I don't know if this correlation is true in general but it applies to me.

Ok.

Thanks for that clarification. It makes me happier about the direction Ford is going with their trucks :-).

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Since it looks like you are in the market for a "country Cadillac", the

150 super cab is available with a short bed with an over all length no longer than a std cab - good looking too!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Reply to
Michelle P

Trucks, like most things is life, are a series of trade-offs. There's no truck that does everything. I wanted a crew cab in my 250, but I also needed to plow. I couldn't have both, and I needed to plow more, so I got the extended cab instead.

Reply to
XLanManX

Don't you guys think they'll eventually offer a manual? Not that I've heard any rumors about it, but who do they think we are? If you're going to sell

400,000 vehicles a year you have to offer some features...
Reply to
Joe

I bought a 2000 F-250 XLT 4x4 Off Road Power Stroke six speed last May and I love it. I had a real hard time finding a diesel six speed, but I am stuck on manual trans as well. Mine is a super cab long bed and is a bit cumbersome when maneuvering around parking lots. If you are a mall goer...this aint the rig for you :). The six speed trans in this truck is without a doubt the coolest transmission I have ever driven. The gearing is five (4 + OD) for the road and a "L" (granny) for crawling off road or starting out a heavy trailer while towing. Mine does have the auto hubs which have performed well so far, but automatic stuff gives me the creeps. I would much prefer manual hubs and transfer. It handles very well, no complaints at all. Well, scratch that, the turning radius rather sucks. I have been a Ford man for years and this truck hasn't let me down at all. You gotta love the aggressive look of these Super Duty rigs too. My biggest recommendation to you is to get as manual as possible throughout the drivetrain and if you can make the stretch do the diesel. It's a bit more out of the gate but mileage and longevity is much better. You wrote that you plan to drive it 'till it dies and with the diesel and proper maintenance that'll be a long way off!

-BunnMan

Reply to
BunnMan

Hi all, Just wanted to thank you for all your responses. I have started the bidding process. I have asked for bids from four "local" dealers. I have received my first and it is a little more than I would like but we will see how the rest pan out. Let you all know how it turns out if you are interested.

Michelle

Michelle P wrote:

Reply to
Michelle P