F250 and 4 Wheel drive

Hey guys I just bought a 2000 F250 with 50k miles on it. I have never had a truck with push button 4 wheel drive before. I was told by a guy at my local auto shop that if I dont go off roading to often I should engage the 4 wheel drive once a month to keep certain parts lubricated. I would like to know if anyone is willing to confirm or deny this piece of advice. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon DeWitt

It's good advice.

Remove my pants to reply.....

Reply to
Doug Wilson

So long as you don't drive it in 4X4 on hard dry surfaces, either do it in the rain or off the pavement...

Reply to
351CJ

Good advice to cycle the 4x4, not good to drive it in rain...still too much tire adhesion to safely use it. All you really want to do is keep the shift motor and selector from seizing. For good measure you might just try manually locking the hubs and drive around in 2wd for a short time, that'll get the chain moving and oil well-slung. That said, the spinning parts of the T case are adequately lubed whenever you drive whether in 4wd or 2wd.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

It is real important on these Fords to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive on a regular basis. If you don't, you may very well end up with hubs that don't engage or disengage like they should. A relatively common problem is with the vacuum locking/unlocking system as it can quit working. (My understanding is the seals or sealing surfaces are the problem. You can go to "thedieselstop.com" and search for relevent threads on this issue. If your hubs don't automatically lock, you can easily overide with a twist at the hub. )

How do I know about the problem? I've got auto hubs that currently don't.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Confirm. These parts need excercise. Also, put it in low range once in a while. Be sure you're off the pavement.

Reply to
Joe

Myself I do it about every two months. I engage while on a strech of road on my way home from work that is very straight and switch it off before I have to make any turns.

Just as a funny side note when I bought the truck the salesman tried telling me that I should drive it in 4x4 for at least the first 50 miles to brake it in. I never laughed so hard in somebodys face so hard in my life.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry P

Were you also supposed to ride the "Brakes" while you were "Braking" it in, or only while you were breaking it in? Actually, you should drive it in neutral or reverse for the first 52.7 miles.

Reply to
Exodus

Damn you must have been my salesman.

Reply to