Ford Ranger losing lights - Help

We have a 1996 Ford Ranger - original owners. On about 5 occassions - the headlights and internal lights went out while driving. Then came back on a couple seconds later.

We took it in and they didn't see anything wrong so cleaned the contacts etc. Since it isn't easy to reproduce - isn't easy to find. Well - it happened again last night - so problem is still there.

Our family has grown out of the truck - want to sell it - but need this problem fixed first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Lynn

Sounds like the circuit breaker inside the light switch is feeling high current or is bad. You got extra lights on that sucker? :)

When I turn on both my low and high beam lights on at the same time ...in a minute or so my '75 will do the same thing and that's what I was told was causing it, right here on atf. :)

One time the high beams did that all by themselves so mine might be getting bad too? :/

I'd like to by pass it and add another separate circuit breaker for the high beams someday.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Try replacing the switch. The switch has a built in circuit breaker relay and some do get weak and as it heats up will lose contact causing the lights to go out. and when it cools lights return.

Reply to
Doc

lynn snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Lynn) wrote in news:7578193b.0402010856.4d4fcbb4 @posting.google.com:

replace the head light switch. the internal breaker is weak. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Thank you both for the advice - especially since you both said the same thing - I feel like this will work for us.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn