programming ford key

Anybody here actually done this?...how much of the real instructions does the owners manual leave out?... any tips?

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Do you have two keys plus the key to be programmed?

Reply to
PC PODD

Yep.

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Well, make that a conditional "yep". I ordered the key a couple of days ago for 16.95 from a source somebody here posted. Also found a locksmith to make the second key ( I only had one) for $38...key and programming.I had quotes from $38 to $135. most in the 135 range. Conditional because the key hasn't yet arrived. Jack

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Jack,

If I understand your post you say you do have two keys plus the third "new" key. If so simply insert the first key and turn to the on position Wait 3-4 seconds, remove first and insert second. Again wait 3-4 seconds remove and install the new key. Wait another 3-4 seconds and turn off ignition. Your new key should now be programmed. Check to be sure.

To perform this operation correctly the first two keys MUST already be programmed and functional with your vehicle.

If you do not have two functional keys to start with you must use an Scan tool, go through a security access and then program the keys. Most do it yourselfers do not have access to this equipment. A dealer usually charges up to an hours time at the shop rate to program keys.

Hope this helps,

John

Reply to
PC PODD

The Ford dealer in Machias Maine charged me $50 last spring for a key and programing as I only had one key at the time.

Reply to
Sherrill D Colford Jr

I bought a third key for my Ford Taurus and programmed it. All I had to do was follow the instructions in the manual - saved $50. No tips - just follow the step-by-step instructions in the ownwer manual - exactly. Problem is, you have to do it BEFORE you lose that second key.

John

Reply to
John