93 Grand Am Water Leak

Hi, can someone tell me if there is a know water leak spot on the Grand Am's. Mines a 93 and I have a couple of inches of water on the passenger side. Yet I can not see any leaks coming in at the door or windows. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Michael Bowden

The drainage holes for the cowl may be clogged with debris. Remove the grill at the base of the windshield and look around. Someone with experience on this vehilce may point you in a better direction, but this is a good starting point.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

My 93 Olds Achieva would get a couple of inches of water on the passenger side after a good rain.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the water leak, which I had a dealer take care of, which cured the problem. Note, it wasn't a recall, and I did pay them to fix the water leak.

I don't have the car or the paperwork anymore; as I recall, the fix was to remove the top vent grille by the wipers, and install or modify a shield under that to fix the problem.

If you (or a friend) has access to AllData, you could look up the TSB and get the info on the fix.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Michael Bowden wrote:

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Cause: Water leaking between the air inlet screen and windshield enters the passenger compartment through the HVAC air inlet stack assembly.

Correction:

  1. Remove windshield wiper arms.
  2. Remove air inlet screen.
  3. Trim enough windshield urethane to install sealing strip.
  4. Remove backing paper from sealing strip, p/n 22639153, and install sealing strip.
  5. Install air inlet screen.
  6. Install wiper arms.

There is a picture showing where the strip need to go as well. It's below the windshield on the right hand side.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

As others have said, the cowl glue lets go and water runs under the cowl cover and directly into the air intake. Remove the cowl cover and thoroughly clean out both left & right drain holes - water hose them after removing the junk. I urethane caulked up the edges of the plastic intake on mine. They were warped. You will see it when you remove the cowl cover. Instead of trying to apply new sealing strip to mine, I just urethaned the top edge of the cowl to the windshield - years ago. It still is ok. Black marine urethane.

Reply to
« Paul »

Thanks everyone I will look under the cowl and see what I've got going on there.

Reply to
Michael Bowden