GM Downsizes 100,000 Mile/5 Year Warranty

And amazing. Never read anything about that before in this group. (Or Toyota's, for that matter). Wonder why???? Come to think about it, I never saw anything about this in USA Today,

60 minutes, or Consumer Reports, either. Wonder why????? ======================================================

My point exactly. GM has made some big mistakes in the past, all of which have been reported so much, most people know them by heart. However, when Toyota or another Japanese company does wrong, the news quietly sweeps it under the rug. It isn't fair, and anyone with half a brain should admit that. Same goes with fuel mileage. At the moment, GM sells more vehicles that get better MPG then anything from any other company, but that too is ignored by the media. They still consider Toyota to be "champ" of fuel mileage.

Reply to
80 Knight

That truck is 18 years old. Still, if they are at fault, they need to be sued.

Reply to
hls

If we calculated our last Buick's fuel economy in Imperial gallons, we would have gotten 31 mpg in highway driving.

If we calculate our Avalon the same way, we get 38.4 mpg.

I am sure GM makes some models that get better than this. It is very hard to make meaningful calculations and comparisons across model and equipment lines.

And, as I conceded the other day, not everyone is impressed with economy. Pickup trucks are the desired vehicle here, and they will probably stay that way until fuel goes up to the $4-5 per US gallon.

Reply to
hls

What does that matter? The fact is, Toyota knew about the problem, and covered it up for a decade. The same thing you hate GM for.

Agreed, though that wasn't my point. My point was I have never seen or heard of this problem, or many other Toyota recalls I found when doing a google search. Yet, when GM has a recall, it's all over the news.

Reply to
80 Knight

I dont know what the details are, nor what Toyota had recalled.

On a truck that old, suspension and steering components could be worn or damaged. The liability and responsibility need to be established before the noose is tied. If it is Toyota's fault, then go for them.. If it were caused by an "intervening event" (such as improper repair, a damaging accident or similar) then the case may not be so clear.

Reply to
hls

The article states that Toyota has known about the defective parts since

1996, making the vehicle only 4 or 5 years old. You also keep ignoring my point. When Toyota releases a recall, it is barley noticeable on the news, yet when GM does it, it's on the front page. Not really fair, if you ask me.
Reply to
80 Knight

Admittedly, recall information should be broadly disseminated, regardless of which entity is envolved.

The car is 18 years old if it is a 1991.

I dont really care who made the car. Apply the law.

Reply to
hls

Agreed.

Your not reading HLS. The car was 4 or 5 years old when Toyota found out about the problem.

Agreed.

Reply to
80 Knight

I dont know when Toyota found out there was a problem. It might be relevant legally, but the vehicle - which I suppose has never been modified to relieve the recall - is some 18 years old.

If there were a critical recall, then the owner should have been notified. I dont know who the owner of record is or was. If the car were sold one or more times, I would imagine that the recall is unduly delayed.

I just dont know. None of this should bear any relevance. If the car were faulty, then the present owner should be found and any due remedy should be applied.

Reply to
hls

With all due respect HLS, did you even read the article? Everything you question is right in it.

On that point I agree entirely. What I was talking about is how Toyota covers up recalls just like you hate GM for.

Reply to
80 Knight

That is not exactly my feeling for GM. They made a lot of junk -knowingly- and made no attempt to make it good.

Reply to
hls

The same thing Toyota has done ;)

Reply to
80 Knight

Uh, not quite.

Reply to
hls

Really? Does the term "engine sludge" have and meaning to you? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Of course not, because it's Toyota, and not GM. Open your eyes HLS. Toyota is no better then GM when it comes to hiding problems.

Reply to
80 Knight

Hiding problems is one thing. Continuing to build cars year after year with the same problems is another. GM didnt try to fix their problems, and their actuarial mathematics probably paid off.

I know of two incidents with Toyota which were definite problems but which they dealt with and fixed.

I can name our traditional list that GM knew about, did not deal with, and refused to fix.

Reply to
hls

That is my point. Toyota continued to build trucks with that defect for a few years, totaling more then 1 million vehicles with a *known* *safety* defect. GM's 3800 motors had a defect that could cause your wallet pain. This Toyota truck defect caused death's. Which one would you pick? In other words, neither company is better then the other.

Reply to
80 Knight

If you caught me buying a pickup, you could call the asylum and have me committed. In other words, the truck reference to me has no meaning. I would not buy one in any case.

Reply to
hls

So, because you wouldn't buy a truck, we should forgive Toyota for the deaths of innocent people? Your hatred knows no bounds, HLS. Why can't you just admit Toyota (in this case) is no better then GM?

Reply to
80 Knight

A majority of Toyota automobiles ARE better than GMs presentations over the past 3-4 decades.

If Toyota management has done things that have caused loss of lives, then they should be punished severely. People should go to jail.

Same for GM.

I still wouldnt buy a pickup, Knight. I now use my FILs Sonoma.. What a piece of shit that is!

Reply to
hls