Help unlock my GM radio

The radios don't come locked from the factory, the only time the radio needs to be taken into the dealer to get unlocked is when somebody programmed a code into the radio and then forgot what it was.

When I needed a radio unlocked (because the guy I bought it from didn't know what the code was), the local Pontiac dealer did it for free. It probably just depends whether you're a regular customer and how hard-assed they are about it.

BTW, GM doesn't use this kind of radio lockout system anymore - the radios now connect into the vehicle data bus and when they power up, check the VIN of the vehicle against the VIN they're programmed for, and if it doesn't match they won't activate. Therefore it's not possible to lock oneself out of the radio by accident with that system.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Same can be said for every radio out there but yet GM is getting hammered by middlemen lining their pockets and we get burned.

My dad worked for gm/delphi, I know how much of a mark up they tack on. There are radios with much more R&D behind them, more stuff to them, and they still sell for hundreds less and they come out with new designs yearly, not after a decade of use. I will disreguard your argument that they are not making a ton of profit. There is no 700 dollars worth of research, developement, transportation, warranty work, or marketing in every radio they produce. If there was then a new Grand Am would cost you 70,000 dollars or more. It only cost them 100 bucks to build the radio and install it in a car but to get it to a parts counter it cost

700 bucks. Yeah right.
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Many thanks for the clarification!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

Bon-ne-ville.....

Are you a wack job? Dont you read what I write?

I took each of you questions and answered them individually. Understand? You then take my different answers and apply them to your different questions. Stop doing that.

First.... You made the question about cost? Why is a Mexico/China radio the same price as a USA radio? I answered MARKUP. Just because its cheaper to build in Mexico has nothing to do with how much mark up there is. Get it??? The cost to build the radio is only ONE FACTOR in its final sales price.

Next....(you said)

Again....the cost of the radio is HIGH because they can force the Insurance company to pay that price. and GM isnt getting hammered, They are the ones making the profit.

(you said)

When......WHEN....did I say this? I have always said they ARE MAKING profit. Because they control the product, and they can charge whatever they want.

Again......Again.....you need to show that you have any idea of how much a radio costs to build. You say less then $100US. How do you know this? What are your facts.....not your guess, but some facts?? And AGAIN....the reason the radio has a HUGH MARKUP is what again? I have forgotten..........

Ohh and by the way........Im done with this....thanks for playing.

Reply to
Masterson

Personal attacks. Oh boy you're a winner. How about you read what you write and get your thoughts and arguments straight because you sure are confused.

Oh ok so you're accusing me of something you had been doing the entire time. Ok sure you can play that way but no one else can. You say one thing then contradict yourself. Oh its labor and marketing blah blah blah that makes it 700 bucks. No wait its markup. No wait its because insurance companies pay for it. Make up your mind.

You can justify the cost all you want. The fact remains there is still no "justification" for GM's markups. I'm simply saying if I or my insurance company is going to be paying those kinds of prices it had better as hell be made here in the states otherwise GM can go screw themselves and that is where "THEY" get hammered. Because NO ONE in their right mind would want to deal with them with that kind of pricing.

They dont ship that s$#@ out of the country to pay anything higher than that! Yes I do know by reason of logic what they pay for that stuff. Like I said my dad worked for GM. His plant made brake pads among other things. Delphi sells them to GM for 4 bucks a set, GM sells them to dealers or who the heck ever and then dealers sell them for $75 bucks. You tell me, do you think it cost them more than 100 bucks for that radio made in mexico? Think again. I can buy any other aftermarket american made brake pads for 30 bucks. Again GM hurts themselves because they push themselves out of the market for anyone with half a common since. Instead of just trying to make 25 bucks off of brake pads they try to make 70 bucks. If you were to try and buy a car part by part you wouldnt get 1/20th of a car before you went over msrp. Insurance doesnt pay for broken radios, they dont pay for brake pads, they dont pay for rotors so why would insurance justify any of that? It DOESNT! And that was your whole point which was bunk to begin with. But of course we dont know what your point was. Who could... However my point was in case you keep missing it - NOTHING JUSTIFIES THOSE PRICES!

Great, I dont want to hear your crap anymore.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

The correct answer is CORPORATE GREED!

Why does a designer shirt made in Bangalore cost $200.00 when the slave labor sewing it is getting 50 cents a day?

Think about it, with all of the off shoring of American jobs to 15th world nations (at the moment anyway), has anyone seen the price of any major goods go DOWN? Electronics is about the only thing I can think of and that's only because the technology to manufacture the goods has improved. What about the trickle down theory of economics where the mega corporations like IBM/GM/GE get tax breaks from the federal and state govts so that they can keep costs low and save jobs? That's a joke if ever there was one.

Anyone seen the cost of cars lately?

The CEO's and boards of directors are crying poverty, taking the tax breaks and shipping the work oversea's for cheap labor costs. Then when the company is in the dumper and people's lives are ruined they grab their golden parachutes and retire to Tahiti.

My friends, if things continue, the USA will be well on it's way toward a dual class society where there is only upper class and lower class.

The middle class will be gone and so will our *super nation* status as countries like China, India, Pakistan and others slowly and methodically build up their technology and workforce and out design and out sell us. And the real joke is, we are funding them right now.

Reply to
ed_lupine

That design makes a lot more sense...although I still find it hard to believe that thieves would go after factory radios, locked or not.

Reply to
James C. Reeves