S10 door hinge repair

My 96 S10 has loose bushings in the upper drivers door hinge. I changed hinge bushings before in my old camero, so i kind of know whats involved.

Here is the problem. The "PIN" on the upper hinge goes in from the bottom up. Normally, you would support the door and push the pin out and put new bushings in and put a pin back in.

The problem is, there is a spring and lever under the upper hinge blocking the pin from comming out the bottom. How do i get this pin out without taking the hinge off and apart?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

sdlomi2

Reply to
jerry

Bob Urz wrote:

Bob-the repair is similar to that on your old Camaro but...you can take a pry bar and pry that horizontial spring down and out of there(be careful-that it doesn't spring out towards you and don't loose it). Also I usually can do the uppers without jacking to door but put a towel or some sort of fender protection between the door you're working on and the front fender. Buy your pin and bushing kit from GM or whomever. Make sure you notice that there are two(2)different size bushings-doubt you'd mess that up but...I usually take a pointed punch or whatever and break them(old bushings) out of the hole if they give you and problem. Re-insert new ones(sometimes they don't 'fall' into place and you have to strategically 'tap' them into place-socket, screwdriver, vicegrips) run your pin up thru and then(it can be done without but..)I would buy or rent a spring compression tool-I've got a couple but don't recall how much-doubt alot but worth every penny. PS by the way, that bracket(arm) you mentioned, swings and won't interfere with the job, just swing it out of the way. Make sure, though, that b-4 you run the pin up thru, that 'arm' is in the proper position(swung in-you'll see what I mean-it wants to be in position after you finally insert the spring to ride its shoulders on a roller to keep the door open as you need it open). Hope this helps-I did a Blazer Saturday where the problem wasn't in the replaceable pins and bushings, it was in the 'other' two holes you'll see-had to drill out some and improvise(another long story but..)but it finally worked out. Good luck, JP

Reply to
jerry

Tip... when we did my old Jimmy's pins, we looped straps through the window opening and around the rafters in my garage. Way easier to "hold" the door when 90% of the weight is being held up by the straps. (you could use rope.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Likewise, when I do hinges, I support the door on an old spackling bucket and some scrap wood.

Reply to
Mike Marlow