Why is it so "impossible" to upgrade analog OnStar?

I don't like the idea of three non-functional buttons on the dash, and a bunch of useless electronic equipment taking up space and weight inside the car, because the company cannot come up with an upgrade path. Even my Alpine navigation unit or XM radio is unlikely to "expire" anytime soon. I have never seen anything like this OnStar debacle.

Reply to
cufliflox

Thank you Mike, finally a well-thought response for the discussion.

Reply to
cufliflox

I agree with Mike. Go back to your "8-track tape" reference. Many people used to have them, but Sony didn't build them to be upgradeable to CD. And analog wasn't outdated in 2001, by the way.

Reply to
80 Knight

Such is the nature of technology Mike. Cellular technology in particular. Virtually every cell carrier has announced drop dead dates for analog. They kept it alive until they could build out the infrastructure for digital and then allowed it to go away. None of those cell carriers offer you any form of upgrade path other than to buy into the new technology. Again - such is the way of technology. I know that it is frustrating to lose a functionality and to feel that you don't want to replace a car you like simply because something like OnStar no longer works, but... (ain't there always a but...), it's life. I can understand your frustration. The part I can't get behind is your feeling that GM owes you something.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

OK, I can pull the 8-track out and put in a CD.

And even to the end, there was no 'dead date' for 8-track. (Although the music industry would love that for CDs. Not the players, the media!)

Analog WAS outdated in 2001. Even before that date, analog was on it's way out. Yes, they still built analog equipment, but there was almost no new SUPPORT for analog.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

According to GM's website, OnStar was first put in GM cars back in 1996. There are 3 different types of OnStar in GM vehicles. Analog Only, Analog/Digital Ready, and Dual Mode (Analog/Digital). The first one, Analog Only will expire in 2008, however, the Analog/Digital Ready models can be upgraded to still be used after 2008. From the GM website: "The Dual-mode (analog/digital) upgrade kits are now available for many GM vehicles. Eligible OnStar subscribers who purchase a prepaid, non-refundable, non-transferable 1-year OnStar subscription (plus applicable subscription tax) will receive an equipment upgrade for $15."

Not bad, seeing how a cell phone upgrade is usually over $100.

Reply to
80 Knight

Which year, make, and model of car do you have OnStar in?

Reply to
80 Knight

Oh, GM doesn't owe me anything. I don't have OnStar in my vehicles. I just find it incredible the attitude that GM took with the 'system direction' kind of thing. I was serious when I compared it to Ford and the tiff with add on radios years ago.

Reply to
Mike Y

Argh!!! Sorry Mike - got your reply confused with the OP's expectations of GM.

Reply to
Mike Marlow
2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Reply to
cufliflox

I don't remember saying that GM "owes" me anything, but I do know that if they don't provide an upgrade path I will be quite disappointed with the brand... it just comes across as sloppy engineering or design management... a car's SAFETY feature is not supposed to expire without an upgrade path. By the way, I am a longtime GM customer, I have only owned GM vehicles since the 1980s. I've always been the cheerleader for GM products but this OnStar debacle is kind of irritating.

Reply to
cufliflox

OnStar is also a vehicle tracking system. So my theft-recovery system will "expire" too.

Reply to
cufliflox

Are you certain your Denali is Analog only? Like I said in another post, some vehicles are Analog/Digital Ready, where as an upgrade is possible, and only cost $15.

Reply to
80 Knight

That would be nice, but I have been reading that all of the pre-2002 vehicles are analog, and the analog/digital were made from around 2002-2004. Also I received a letter from GM about cancelling the service in 2008, which I guess they mailed me based on my VIN number.

Reply to
cufliflox

Probably true, though there is a number on GM's OnStar site you can call just to double check. As for now, I would suggest getting a good cell phone, with GPS built into it. My Motorola Razr has GPS in it. I can't really use it as a navigation system, but should I ever need 911 assistance, the phone transmit's my location to the 911 operator. I guess the only other thing you can do is try to find a forum that deals with Yukon's. They may have found a way to convert your Analog system to Digital, and if the price is right, you may want to look into that. I use the BonnevilleClub all the time for all my Bonnie's needs.

Reply to
80 Knight

management...

You didn't come out and say it, but you more than implied that GM owes you something - an upgrade at the very least. A lot has been posted here regarding OnStar and the various implementations of it. I guess it's up to the individual to decide what he/she wants to call all of that. But - the point could be made that (as you have already made clear) you knew you were buying a dead end, "obsolete" technology when you bought your car with OnStar. There were other OnStar technologies either available or announced when your was on the way out. Seems kind of late to be pitching a bitch about a technology at this point.

Why the caps on the word "SAFETY" above? That alone makes it clear you are trying to emphasize a point in attempt to bolster your case. OnStar is an adjunct. It does nothing for "SAFETY". It's a convenience. Anything you can say about OnStar as a "SAFETY" component can equally be said of a cell phone. If the "SAFETY" aspects of OnStar are really important, then make sure you have a cell phone and you're all set.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

BTW - I hope this does not sound overly critical of your opinion. Mine is a different opinion and I'm just hashing the stuff about - not trying to be too critical.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

BS. Onstar was developed by Hughes when Hughes was still a 100% owned subsidiary of GM.

Reply to
John Horner

I thought OnStar was developed by IBM.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Really? I've never paid a penny for a phone upgrade.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski