WOW! I hadda got 35 MPG !

So I guess you're just a two-faced hypocrite...

Reply to
Neo

There is Numerically Higher (a low ratio) and Numerically Lower (a high ratio). There is no such thing as a longer gear. Steering gear ratio's change by body line, and some times option packages.

Your olds had two different rack options:

36-16515 RPO NV7 Variable boost or 36-16514 With Out Variable boost.

Either way the racks were 1999 to 2003 Alero & Grand Am only.

Which means they have Numerically Lower Gears then something heavier like a same year Park Ave. So the turning effort was very little.

Regardless of ratio. It is still a hydraulic over manual system. Else wise if you lost hydraulic boost from the pump you could not turn the wheels via the steering wheel. Can you understand this simple principal?

Well that's just spiffy. In that case find a short, yet tall cliff and got for a long walk. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Good for you, go out there and you kill your tranny sooner, it'll get another idiot off the road, now we see why you had to change the tranny fluid in your Bonne at 30k miles. And just so you know, I've been riding motorcycles for quite awhile now so I do know what it feels like. BTW...most

4T60/Es (all but one) and all 4T65Es can go 40 mph in first so I fail to see how much you could have slowed down.

And that supports your answer how?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Why so much effort trying to convince me that sweating while steering an Alero with a failed steering pump was not really hard?

Reply to
Neo

I guess not, as it was done only once.

Your bikes had automatic transmissions?

If you fail to see it, it's your problem.

Neo

They're out there.

That and I know what downshifting on a manual feels like.

You know, GM trannys'll downshift and the engines'll get more gas to stay at a certain speed. The engine would have sped up to keep with the gear change, or it may have dropped down to possibly 37 MPH. I present facts, you display amentia.

Oh damn, my secret has been found out. Come on, if you're going to insult me try harder. That attempt was just puerile.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Ohh because you keep posting bull shit as if it were fact. If it was so hard for you to steer that car, then you probably would get beaten up by little old ladies. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles, you're a 1st class moron.

Reply to
Neo

Oh, will it? Right...

Facts or unfounded opinions? We live in an age in which people arrogantly display their ignorance. You're a man of our age.

Reply to
Neo

Nye, the Moron is you.

First you go of your way to argue with people who know how systems function. You argue that a 1999 Olds does not have a brake, or steering system that is evolved from older designs. You argue that automatic transmissions operate differently in your cars then they do any where else in the universe.

You have repeatedly shown you are a Automotive Idiot. You have no business owning tools, let alone giving advice about cars. Hell I doubt you should even have a drivers license.

Here is a list of things you know nothing about:

1.How engines make Vacuum. 2.When the most Vacuum is produced. 3.How power brake boosters work. 4.That power brake boosters have a vacuum reserve.
  1. How automatic transmissions operate.
  2. The meaning of no rear pump
  3. How torque converters work.
  4. How any sort of hydraulic system works.
  5. How Power Steering is a Hydraulic system.
  6. That a power steering system is a Hydraulic over manual system.
  7. How gear ratio work.
  8. How engineers evolve designs from past designs
  9. How cars are designed.
  10. That cars are all relative.

When people present you with facts, you come back with bullshit. You have nothing to support your bullshit either. I'm done with you, most of the knowledgeable people on this news group probably are as well.

Charles Automotive Professional in more then one Automotive trade.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yes it will, go up a hill with cruise control on and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

No, that man happens to be you.

"So the wheels wouldn't turn the engine in an automatic? I don't think so." "Yeah, right. The engine, that air-pump, stops pumping air..." "I never said it can stall ONLY in N, but if it does, the wheels will not be turning the engine, creating vacuum in the intake manifold for the power brake and turning the power steering pump then."

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I see that besides being a moron, you're also an operationally illiterate, for you're putting owrds I never said in my mouth that could only be construed by someone as dumb as you. I guess that there's a reason why mechanics don't make cars...

Reply to
Neo

Who's talking about cruising? We're talking about coasting.

Yet another illiterate who can't read figurative language or even commas.

Phillip, a man of the age of ignorance.

Reply to
Neo

Please Charles!

Don't stop arguing with him?

I love to see him put his foot in his mouth, in fact. I think it's his only form of nutrition, and therefore his brain lacks the calories to produce a coherent argument.

Ala Monty python!

This is a fun argument, that I haven't had to get into yet. Please, by all means. Keep kicking his unknowledgeable ass?

Refinish King

PS While you're at it, ask him the concept of how the torque converter is a viscous coupling, that evolved from a clutch type viscous coupling. he won't know whether to shit his watch, or wind his asshole?

Reply to
Refinish King

Excuse me Neo:

But, if he is an "operationally illiterate" as you called him, and which there is no such thing.

Please, with all due respect, look at your below captioned post and tell me this: "with all the typos" you are a functional illiterate?

Plus, I'm sure you can see Charles has more working knowledge of automotive theory and operation than most engineers, your right. Us mechanics can't make cars, we're too busy fixing the problems the engineers designed in!

Sincerely,

Refinish King

You might want to take an extra Prozac pill for a few days, Charles might make a few typos in the heat of arguing, but I think your second personality: "Neophyte The BOBBO Honker" takes you over!

Reply to
Refinish King

It has to do with downshifting. You didn't believe that the car would apply gas to keep it at the same speed, all I've shown is that it does. Now, if you're coasting why would you want to keep it at the same speed? Wait, I don't want to hear it. It'll be as irrational as the other answers you've had.

Yet you should realize those were quotes. When writing dialog or even simple one sentence lines (much like those that were there) you always go onto the next line without any commas or semi-colons. I don't believe what you said before was figurative. I show how much you "know" and you come back with an insult.

I think "a man from the age of ignorance" would make more sense. That first "of" could mean that I come before the age of ignorance. It could also mean that I'm not a part of that age. We're in the age of ignorance, and you reign supreme.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

First of all, I did not put words in your mouth. I listed things you have shown thru your arguments that you know nothing about.

From what your saying, your trying to make me assume your an engineer. If you are, your one of the dumbest ones I have ever met.

As for mechanics not designing cars, that is a lie. I grew up with a father who did M.E. & E.E. work.I knew alot of the engineers that worked for him. 95% of the work they did was for GM & Chrysler. Everything from Machine tool designs, to parts Proto Types, as well as system designs.

Before my father worked at that company he was a brake systems & plaint engineer for GM. On top of that he was a Professional Mechanic, who when in to engineering. He also ran a successful SS/A drag car in the days before prostock. No fancy crews, no deep pocketed sponsors. Just him. Top 10 in his division every year he ran. Back then SS/A was a pro class.

So once again your full of shit. Mechanics do make cars. Not just the engineers, not just the people who test the systems, but some of the people on the lines. Dayton Ohio is still a GM town. I have sold a lot of parts over the years to people that work for GM (some now work for Delphi). A good number of them build race cars, as well as repair regular street vehicles.

Unlike you I understand the whole process behind a vehicle system. From concept to production. From production to assembly. From Assembly to repair.

I am far from the smartest man involved in the car game. I am far from the most skilled. I'm not even the quickest at repairs. Yet I'm light years ahead of you. Charles (I know I said I was done, blame RK he egged me on).

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Because he needed to be shown that you aren't the idiot he called you!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

For one thing putting a vehicle in neutral could be illegal in some states. Roy "Tim or Linda snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net" I was wondering the if putting it in neutral like that would cause a