1991 Prelude 4WS Brake Light Problem

Hi all, My brake light on my dash stays on all the time. When I press the clutch to the floor the brake light goes off. I release the clutch pedal and light comes back on. The brakes seem to work just fine. Upshifting between 1st and 2nd is very hard, 3rd is not as hard as 2nd but still hard. 4th and 5th are somewhat easier. The difficulty in shifting is at the shifter. The pedal feels normal, I think. It's my first Honda in a long time. I was driving a VW bus before and cannot compare shifting experiences. Do I need a new clutch?

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
rick

You probably just need to lubricate the linkage. One of my Nieces had a similar problem with her Integra. Once the linkage was lubricated the problem was solved.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Will that solve the brake light problem as well as the hard to shift problem?

Reply to
rick

Just the difficult shifting.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I just now went outside to play around with the car a little. When not running, the shifter moves very smoothly. I start the engine and it still shifts through all gears smoothly. I drove around the block and the shifting was very hard again. It was almost impossible to downshift into second. The shifting is only hard when the car is moving. Weird.

Reply to
rick

The BRAKE light is probably on because the brake fluid is low (or the park brake lever isn't down all the way). You probably are way overdue on changing the brake fluid anyway. If the '91 has the hydraulic clutch, change the brake fluid in that too. Shifting will become much easier. This stuff is in the owner's manual.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _