2002 Civic LX stalling

I have a 2002 Civic LX which is manifesting an odd problem: the car will start just fine, but only stays running for about 10s after being started. It starts relatively cleanly and idles at 1000rpm (or so) for the 10s and then it just cuts out. I hear a relay click at the cut-out...but that could be somewhat anecdotal.

Has anyone seen a similar problem or have any ideas for investigation? I would like to have some general ideas before I go and spend a bunch of money at the mechanic's...

Thanx,

Geoffrey

Reply to
geoffrey.phillippe.2007

For a thorough treatment of the problem:

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My CR-V does that if I put PREMIUM in it . . What are you burning these days?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I had a very similar problem, asked here and was referred to the same site (below) which is awesome. The problem was the Main relay which controls ignition and fuel pump etc.. Some of the solder joints on the printed circuit board had become a bit loose and went open now and again. Leaving it alone for minutes, hours or even 1 and 1/2 days once cured the problem for a while. You can replace the relay assembly which cost about $140 Canadian and get a mechanic to do it for you which takes about one hour (it's a bit difficult to get at on my old Accord). In my case the mechanic resoldered the joints so I was back in business for about $50 thanks to Tegger's site. Good Luck, Alan C

Reply to
Alan Combellack