change headlight

whats the trick to getting the headlight bucket out of the Honda Civic 2001 coupe? two screws on the top but the head light doesnt seem to want to come out. are there any hidden screws located behind the bucket?

courtney

Reply to
Bill Falconer

"Bill Falconer" wrote in news:6T3rj.18669$C61.16767@edtnps89:

You're trying to remove the entire headlamp assembly?

You need to remove the entire front bumper. Believe it or not.

See here:

'01 and '03 should be the same.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3EB50C6D8D4tegger@207.14.116.130:

Oh, if you're only changing the bulb, you do NOT remove the entire lamp assembly!

Reply to
Tegger

-------------------------

If you take the whole bumper off, do it over lawn or have a helper so you don't scratch it when it falls off. diagrams at

If you're just wanting to change _the lamp_, that part is described in the owner's manual. Since lots of people will read this, we don't want them to think it's like the VW way of changing (or not changing) headlamps (wink).

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3EB9A73F4BCtegger@207.14.116.130:

what's a "headlight BUCKET"???

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9A3EC76D2AD34jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85:

I assumed the OP was using the old term "bucket" -- a term used to describe the structure an Olde Tyme sealed beam sat in -- as a description for the entire headlamp assembly.

Sealed Beams, 1940: State-of-the-art in 1940. Sealed Beams, 1984: State-of-the-art in 1940. NHTSA, .......2008: State-of-the-art in 1940.

Reply to
Tegger

motsco_ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It's not that hard, really. Just fiddly. You can sit on the driveway under the bumper and use your knees/legs to hold the unit up as needed. The entire bumper weighs maybe 30 pounds. A *much* greater danger is scratching your paint as you manipulate the bumper.

Bulb. The "lamp" is the glass and plastic thing the bulb goes in.

Reply to
Tegger

Believe it or not, he's right. I've got an '87 CRX that's experienced some sort of attachment failure in the bucket causing the headlight to point in a screwy direction. Being in denial about taking the bumper off, I did just about everything else trying to work around it.

Once it warms up enough to get outside again, I'll be doing it the "right" way.

Reply to
Flatlander

Evening Tegger

I just want to change the headlamp but before I go any further I should mention that this is an American car. I am trying to change the drivers side lamp but there is what looks like the brake fluid reservoir almost directly in front of where the headlamp should come out. There is not enough room to get your hand in there to twist the headlamp and pull it out like any normal car. I'm sure that I could force my hand down in there but that would most likely cause the plastic brake reservoir to break or crack. I thought I would just undo the bucket and take it right out which would give clear access to the bulb but based on what you have explained here that is not possible. I can't believe that Honda actually paid some engineer to for such a poor design when it comes to a simple headlight change out. Do the Canadian Honda's have this same issue with the drivers side headlight or is this unique to the American model. Is there an easy way around this

Courtney

Reply to
Bill Falconer

"Bill Falconer" wrote in news:LNLrj.18771$w57.2486@edtnps90:

What you see is the Power Steering reservoir. Pull/wiggle that up and it will lift off its bracket. Push it aside and the bulb is accessible.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks Tegger

Will give this a go in the morning, sounds to simple

Thanks again Courtney

Reply to
Bill Falconer